Quick boost ?

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
After the break because of all the snow in Dec - I got back to regular riding (100 miles per week) in Jan - my average speeds were progressing quite nicley - then I got a dose of the flu , together with domestic stuff - I only got out once in March.
This week I struggled a bit on the local club run - whose average speed was only 14.7MPH -
I commutte to work every day (7 miles each way) but really need to get my average back over 15 mph - any suggestions on how to quickly get back in the folder

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Just keep plugin away at it, the speed will come back, what intensity are you commutes?, could you extend them on the way in or way home?
  • kingrollo
    The commuttes aren't that intense - I avearge 13mph - I have to go over speedbumps - and generally the traffic is pretty heavy - so need to concentrate rather than hammer it.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    If thats the bulk of what you do, and its at a slower speed / lower intensity than where you want to be, then you are going to struggle to improve quickly.

You need some faster / harder rides, or some intervals.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Don't think there is a short-cut. You need to get out on your bike more.
    More problems but still living....
  • emx
    emx Posts: 164
    kingrollo wrote:
    but really need to get my average back over 15 mph

why..?
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I commute twice a week through quite heavy traffic, you probably need to be a little bit adventurous to get the speed up. My commutes are 8.5 miles each way and in really really heavy traffic I only manage an average of 16mph, when the traffic is clearer but still heavy I managed 18-20mph avg.

To get some training in treat every roundabout/traffic light as a sprint/interval and go hell for leather out of them, a few of my mates and I agree that riding just these short distances is harder than a full blown ride if you put the effort in.

There is some nice stretches on the way back that I can hold 26-30mph for about 3 miles, all good training and it keeps my speed up as well.

Just a matter of taking advantage of every opportunity.
  • Thebigbee
    Thebigbee Posts: 570
    Velonutter wrote:

There is some nice stretches on the way back that I can hold 26-30mph for about 3 miles, all good training and it keeps my speed up as well.

Just a matter of taking advantage of every opportunity.

Jeez - I was what I thought was pretty quick for me anyway on a hybrid 21 mph for about a mile - I was knackered!!

I have a long way to go on my fitness in this old cycling lark.

I think I average about 14-16 mph but my computer disagrees and says it is only 12.7.

That's why I want a road bike.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Can't you take a few alternative roads that add on distance/alternative terrain so that you have better opportunities for a good training ride ?
  • kingrollo
    op here

I do get out of the weekend for around 3-4 hours

will also be looking to get out 1 evening per week for about 1.5 hours

the commute is lot of short roads -peak speed is only around 25 mph - and that doesn't stay for long.
  • TheBullet
    TheBullet Posts: 58
    Tabata intervals always seem to increase my fitness quicker than anything else:

Tabata Intervals
    Set:
    20" sprint
    10" rest
    Do 8 sets (4 minutes total) for a block.
    Rest 4 minutes between block
    Do as many blocks as possible.

Got this from an old post here: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... ight=power
    Winners never quit and quitters never win!!