Wilier Izoard 2010 or 2011?

pat_h
pat_h Posts: 34
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
Have the option of a Centaur equipped 2010 Izoard or 2011 with Veloce for the same price,
2010 frame is better quality from what I've seen but has it been around since 2008?
Any advice? Thanks

Comments

• Avanti Roman
    Avanti Roman Posts: 189
    edited March 2011
    Snap up the 2010 now before someone else gets it!

Better groupset and I understand the 2010 Izoard has a better/lighter full carbon front fork (370g v 490g) than the 2011 Izoard XP.

The frames look and weigh virtually the same from the reports I've seen.
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Boardman CX Team
    Trek 8000
    Sirrus framed 'special'

Prev: Avanti Corsa, Routens, MBK TT, homemade TT bike, Trek 990, Vitus 979 x 2, Peugeot Roubaix & er..Raleigh Arena!
  • Mad Roadie
    Mad Roadie Posts: 710
    pat_h
    the 2010 is a better spec - seems to be the general opinion but check these prices too - Bought my last Wilier from them and no complaints

https://www.bikebuster.com/details/120951.html
  • Caligari_uk
    Caligari_uk Posts: 186
    I'd kill for a 58cm 2010 version, but I can't find one anywhere.
  • pat_h
    After seeing both in the flesh, and trying out both. My mind is saying go with the 2010 version, but my heart prefers the look of the 2011.
    Some of the angles on the 2010 are a bit too pronounced for me. Both were great to ride and I can upgrade as I go along, I guess that's the right choice
  • richtw
    richtw Posts: 118
    What size are you looking for m or l?
  • pat_h
    medium i think, tried a large Petacci and it was a bit big for me
  • richtw
    richtw Posts: 118
    pm sent....
  • Caligari_uk
    I'm a 58 on Specialized bikes.

What would that make me in Wilier sizes?
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    i normaly ride a 56 and mines a L but I think its a tad big for me. Click the link to see the pic mines 2010. Just bought some new cosmics for it as the others were a bit old.
  • Caligari_uk
    i normaly ride a 56 and mines a L but I think its a tad big for me. Click the link to see the pic mines 2010. Just bought some new cosmics for it as the others were a bit old.

Wow - it looks lovely, Jeff.

The weather doesn't look half-bad, either! 8)
  • pat_h
    Going with a 105 equipped 2011 Izoard, have mavic krysium sl wheels so combining the two.
    Prefer the look of the '11 version, think it'll age better. Easier upgrade path for when ultegra goes electric too :)
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,804
    pat_h wrote:
    Prefer the look of the '11 version, think it'll age better

Couldn't agree more.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    I have a 2010 Izoard and it's a great bike - although the wheels (Racing 5) aren't up to the same standard. I've replaced them with Neutrons which I love! 2010 Centaur is great too. I had a 2010 Cannondale 6 Carbon before and prefer the Wilier.

Haven't ridden the 2011 Izoard, but seem to remember the reviews not being great?
  • pat_h
    Not sure, haven't seen any 2011 reviews, just that the carbon a bit different and the forks heavier. Have rode both, the 2011 version being a petacci yellow/black and found both good.
    I just prefer the look of the 2011.
    Main criticisms i've seen are the 2011 has a lesser groupset/heavier fork for the same price as 2010 and is a step down from last years pound for pound so between forks/groupset your £/$/€ will not go as far.
    This is my first "new" bike for nigh on 20 years so it's a step up for me no matter what as it'll probably be the first bike set up right for me ever!
    Doing the Etape so we'll both be tested on the hills near it's namesake
  • Caligari_uk
    I've got a Wilier Iozard on its way - unfortunately I have had no way of testing it out beforehand, because there do not appear to be any Wilier dealers in Norfolk.

It's not the end of the world, because I can simply send it back if it doesn't 'fit'.

I'm 6'2" and opted for a XL (which is apparently a 58cm frame). My last two Specialized bikes have been 58cm, and they've been a perfect fit.

Will there be a big difference between the two brands?
  • pat_h
    Not sure, I'm 5'9" and getting a medium, tried a large which was a bit too big for me, XL should be a big jump so from 55 to 58 so would think you'll be ok.
  • Caligari_uk
    Hmmm, my Wilier turned up on Friday, and I've only just had a chance to put it together (very roughly).

The bike itself is absolutely beautiful - honestly, if I could marry an inanimate object, this would be top of the list.

The only problem is that it looks very long in comparison to my Specialized Tarmac (which is also a 58cm).

I haven't been out on it yet, but when I sit on it, it feels like quite a stretch when leaning over to grab the brakes etc.

I'm 6'2" - the measurements on various Wilier websites seem to state that this is the correct size for me.
  • Just ordered a 2010 Mortirolo in xl
    I'm 6'2 and am used to a 58cm spesh so fingers crossed
  • what brakes
    what brakes Posts: 328
    Def a 2010 Izoard.

im 5'10" and have a couple of the 2010 Izoards however 1 is for sale.
  • Caligari_uk
    Hello again, chaps.

The bike store were kind enough to let me return the bike - but I've kind of given up on my search for a Large 2010 Izoard Centaur - they've vanished from the face of the Earth (for a new one, anyway - I don't think I'd want to spend over a grand on a second-hand bike with no warranty).

A 2011 would be my only choice, but I've heard (from posts on here) that the frame isn't as good as the 2010 version.

Are there any actual reviews out there to confirm this?
  • pat_h
    So, I'm after going for a 2011 Izoard with 105, putting my own Mavics Ksyrium SLs and will take it from there. Got it at at good price and can upgrade over time. Roll on delivery day!
  • ian_s
    ian_s Posts: 183
    These guys had a L 2010 Izoard Centaur a few weeks ago. Reduced quite a bit too as I recall. Worth a call..
    http://www.winkleburycycles.com/
    (near Basingstoke)
  • I know where there is a large izoard Athena 2010 in
    Large
  • pat_h
    Hey, just got my 2011 Izoard, but problem! It's a large instead of the medium i was supposed to get. I'm 5'9", 32" inside leg. I'm barely straddling the crossbar so should i keep it or send it back and wait for a medium? I could probably get by on it but think it's too big.
    I've had a few bikes that were too big for me so probably used to getting by.
  • If it's not right why not change if you can?