All round bike but mainly for commute

2»

Comments

• danbrum
    danbrum Posts: 45
    Went to the specialized store today and tried the tricross and secteur. Guy in shop said the tricross was probably their best bike for light touring. Both are great, I prefered the feel of the secteur at first though and it's £350 cheaper. I was just wondering if anyone has ridden the secteur on canal towpath and single track and was it ok? What's it like when loaded with panniers? If I can get away with spending £350 less I may do that.

Going to try the kona jake tomorrow at another shop then buy next week :D.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    danbrum wrote:
    Went to the specialized store today and tried the tricross and secteur. Guy in shop said the tricross was probably their best bike for light touring...

I don't know the shop, so I'm not hating, I have no axe to grind but it sounds like he was selling to you.
    Saying "the tricross was probably their best bike for light touring" may be like saying that a Ferrari Enzo is a better car to tow a caravan than a Lamborgini Diablo.
    I've never ridden either bike so I can't offer a judgement of one over the other, I just don't like the idea of being sold to.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • danbrum
    Well to be fair I actually went down to try the tricross and then asked him what he would recommend for light touring. I tried the secteur after because it was a good deal on last years model and it was recommended in this thread.
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    Thought that I would just mention that CRC have now got 30% off last year's Konas - the Dew range are there including the Dew Drop. No experience but I've heard good things of them...

_
  • danbrum
    Kona Jake didn't fit me very well, 53 was too short lengthwise and 56 was too big heightwise so gonna go with the Tricross or the Secteur depending on if I can justify the extra cost of the tricross unless a good deal for something else comes up on ebay. Thanks for all the advice in this thread.