Component Longevity and Service Intervals

13»

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    snailracer wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    ...Compare an F1 car and a diesel van. One is lighter, faster and more expensive but won't last as long. The cheaper one may last longer, but it's relatively slow and heavy. If you're racing you're probably happy to put up with the more frequent replacement because of the weight and performance improvements.
    Driving a F1 car on the road would have awesome comedy value. No indicators, so it would get stranded every time it needed to change lanes. The clutch would burn out in short order. No starter, so you'd have to wait for a support vehicle if it stalls. No headlights, so no driving at night. No handbrake, so would roll back on hillstarts. Rubbish turning circle, so would have to "donut" around corners. No reverse gear. Would get grounded on every speedbump, etc. :lol:

Sounds like you're describing JZed's commuting style ;)
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    notsoblue wrote:
    Sounds like you're describing JZed's commuting style ;)
    What are you trying to say - I'd done 190 miles in the space of 3 days when you sprung the surprise attack before staining your bid shorts and riding through the amber :lol: Revenge will be sweet :twisted:
    awesome comedy value.
    This depends how many pints I have consumed.
    clutch would burn out in short order.
    :lol::lol::lol:
    No headlights
    I have a beast of a headlight - anyways its light now
    so would have to "donut" around corners.
    Sounds like fun

Ohhh and found this:

http://www.furorecars.co.uk/
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    There are three factors to be considered with bike parts:
    Weight, durability and price.

You can have any two of the three, but not all three.
    If it is light and strong it won't be cheap. (Titanium)
    If its strong and cheap it won't be light. (Steel)
    If its cheap and light it won't be strong. (Aluminium)

Carbon seems to only be able to tick one of the boxes as it is light, but not that strong (other than in the direction it was designed to be strong in) and not that cheap.

I'm probably going to get flamed by steel frame lovers. One of the way that modern steel frame makers get their frames so light is by having thinner and thinner wall thicknesses which mean it is easier to dent, so losing some points from a strength/durability point of view. Another way is more exotic alloys of steel, which bump up the price.

You can't have it all (apart from the SRAM Unobtanium groupset, which is very strong, very light and costs ~£150 depending on the exchange rate).
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    JZed wrote:

How big a chump would you have to be to own one of those? Maybe fun to go for a spin once or twice on a sunny day, but thats not much good for a car you build yourself.

I think Ariel stole his thunder.
    2005-Ariel-Atom-Honda-Powered-Street-Legal-Mini-F1-K.jpeg
    But its not a kit car.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!