What sort of sessions?

MikeWW
MikeWW Posts: 723
48, max HR 192(approx)
Decent amount of training(steady rides) over the winter and just starting to build things up.
Problem I am having is that towards the end of harder sessions I seem to be missing an extra gear that I need to go with the bunch but I'm not maxxing out HR wise

Trace from last night here http://connect.garmin.com/activity/76229599

First 40 minutes were warm up, then it was 2 laps of through and off with a final lap which was 1 minutes on the front until we got to about 3 miles to go then it wound up for a sprint finish. After 1.26 its a warm down back to home. I just didn't feel able to lift my speed with about a mile to go and feeling similar in the first few races I've done. It is possible that I may just be tired but not sure?

What sort of training should I be doing that will give this ability to kick at the end?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    MikeWW wrote:
    What sort of training should I be doing that will give this ability to kick at the end?
    How much threshold training have you done? You only mention "steady miles"
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Bronzie wrote:
    MikeWW wrote:
    How much threshold training have you done? You only mention "steady miles"

Not much really-I've done a few races but no specific threshold work. I'm not really sure what a threshold session might look like :?: I do a ride similar to the one above once a week and 1/2 races a week (depends on other commitments) plus a couple of tempo rides. Thinking about it the year before I was doing a number of cross races in the winter and probably a bit more time on the turbo. Haven't done cross this year due to still recovering from a shoulder injury. Might that be why I've lost a gear?
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Well, first thing to work on is improving threshold as far as possible. This "raises the ceiling" so when you have to make a hard short effort in races etc, you're not already on the limit.

As to what threshold training looks like, well typically 2x20 intervals @ L4 (85-90% MHR) and longer continuous efforts @ L3 (80-85% MHR). When you find the improvements from these tapering off, then look to L5 intervals (ie 5x5 L5) mixed in. See the link in my sig for more explanation.

Also some good advice on the recent "Sweetspot Training" thread although geared to power meter users, but you get the same results using HR although takes a bit more experimenting.
  • I have found exactly the same thing as you describe. Strong throughout a race but something lacking at the end for the sprint. To rectify the situation I have started to introduce hill sprints to increse VO2 max. Basically 'steady miles' are great but dont work on lactate threshold or the higher anerobic stuff.

Race more or thrash yourself over a short period of time repeatedly

In my opinion
  • Oh and I agree with all of Bronzie's points. His are more scientific