I'm thinking about buildling my own wheels

mroli
mroli Posts: 3,622
edited March 2011 in Workshop
Is it a good idea?

I have found the reference on here to a good book about it, I have a mate who can help me if I get stuck. I have a truing stand and true my own wheels.

I'm thinking about getting these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250786985774&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT%20(I know they're carbon wrap - that's ok, I don't want to change my pads and these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130487707706&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:ITHow do I find out what length spokes I need?

I presumably will need brass nipples too (44 of them (plus a couple for dropping them!) - anything else? Spoke tensioner?

Any other words of wisdom/advice before I embark on this enterprise? Thank you. I am fully aware that i may need to get my mate to do it for me!

M

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Why not have a first go practice with a nice cheap Tiagra hub (rear) and something simple like a Mavic rim (CXP or Open Pro)? If you do a rear wheel then you can always use it as a spare wheel for the turbo or emergencies. That way, you won't be burning so much money on your first go so there will be less pressure on you, etc.

I built a wheel up (had an OEM rear hub lock up) and found it really tricky the first time (but really rewarding). Ended up with a bit of a bump and rounded nipples. Got some more encouragement on here, bought some new nipples, had another go and the second time it was a much better effort, things just seemed to click into place more and the spoke tension is much more even (just used hand squeezing on two spokes at a time, regularly). The wheel is now part of a winter set/turbo use and it works a treat. I actually went for 105 which is a really nice basic hub.
  • 2Phat4Rapha
    2Phat4Rapha Posts: 238
    Excellent advice from Bobbinogs.

1. The first thing to do is to buy Roger Musson’s eBook for £9.

http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

2. Then you’ll need some measurements from your components:

Hub: Spoke hole diameter, PCD of the spoke holes, Centre to flange distance right and left

Rim: ERD

Roger’s book explains these. You can measure them yourself if you can’t find the manufacturer’s specs.

3. Decide on the number of spokes and the lacing pattern (too big a discussion for here)

4. Calculate the spoke lengths required. There are plenty of Spoke Length Calculators on-line or you can download my free one from:

http://www.wheelingwrinklies.co.uk/WheelBuilder_PE/WBPE.html

where there’s quite a bit of built in help too.

Nipples are often supplied with the spokes but check before buying.

You WILL need a GOOD nipple driver

You may need a truing stand (you can get away with using your bike frame but it’s not the best approach).

You will need patience.

Google wheel building for plenty of YouTube videos

I can also recommend Arup Sen in Sydenham if you can get there. He does excellent wheel building afternoons in his garden!

http://www.yogarup.com/wheels/
    I may be a minority of one but that doesn't prevent me from being right.
    http://www.dalynchi.com
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    2Phat4Rapha
    spot on.

But i would suggest having a read of Sheldon Browns wheel building pages first. (link below) as it is free. as it gives a very good over view on what is involved and what to do and will answer all you questions.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mroli
    Thanks all - I had planned on buying that ebook - I've got it bookmarked ready to purchase as soon as I decide whether or not to do it!

Will have a look at Arup Sen as well - fancy learning what to do before I do it!

Thank you

M
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Agree with everything that has been said before, but would add an encouragement. I built some wheels last year which I used in a couple of sportives. Nothing feels better than doing well on wheels you've made your self.

Started with Tiagra hubs and mavic CPX 22 rims (650 for my son's bike). I was so pleased I then made a set with Novatec hubs and Halo mercury rims. Very pleased with myself. :D
  • All brilliant advice from the above posters, one tip- Roger Musson talks at length about measuring the ERD- effective rim diameter properly- this is especially important and will send your spoke calculations right up the swanny- I speak from expensive experience (Aerolites.)

His MDF wheel jig is very very good as well.

I would also consider Schraner's book by DT- its a bit more full of the 'art' of wheelbuilding but the lacing method is in my opinion the best, and it tells you about the nebulous bits of wheel building like washers and tying and soldering- fluff I know, but fun.
  • woolwich
    woolwich Posts: 298
    I don't know where you are located mate, so this may or may not be of use. I found a local bike co-operative who run wheel building courses. I had a whole days tuition and use of a workshop for £80. I think most major cities have something similar. Came home with a finished product and the confidence to build my own. I buiit a disc front wheel for my cyclo-cross bike this weekend and only needed to buy a hub and some spokes.
    All the previous advice seems excellent but I struggle with technical books/manuals so being shown worked better for me. Good luck.
    Mud to Mudguards. The Art of framebuilding.
    http://locksidebikes.co.uk/
  • mroli
    Was that the Oxford bike coop? My father in law sends me info from them - they look like a great outfit. Am in London so a bit of a hike to Oxford.

I'm about as practical as a sun parasol during monsoon season - so I would like to do a day course. Guess I should keep my eyes open for one local.
  • west green
    west green Posts: 134
    Hi - good luck with the wheel build, and if you find a wheelbuilding course in London (especially central or North) let us know how it went? I've also heard that Arup's course is recommended but haven't managed to make it down there yet
  • As above, buy the Musson e-book and give it a go. It really isn't as hard as all that - if you can tune a guitar, you can build a wheel. I made a set of 36H Rigida Chrina rims on Tiagra hubs, not particularly light, but very smooth rolling and bombproof for the commute, I can't recommend it enough, a very rewarding experience.

I also made the truing stand from the e-book, works very well indeed.
  • mroli
    if you can tune a guitar, you can build a wheel.

Gulp - you don't want to see me tuning a guitar mate - it is a long and laborious process!!!!
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Ended up with a bit of a bump and rounded nipples. .

This is a bike forum - not a maternity advice site. :lol: