Taking it to the next level...

garysan
garysan Posts: 63
Ok, so I've been riding casually since early 2007 - initially on MTB but late last summer I bought a road bike, partly because I wanted to do more distance + I rather like the image :) When I'm able and have good weather I do around 100 miles per week during the 'season' and less during winter.

Now, I can manage 20 miles without a problem, mostly on flat roads with the occasional small hill (I live in Lincolnshire) so not much in the way of Alps...

My problem seems to be when I want to do 30 miles and beyond. As an example, I did a very laid back 15 mile on Saturday with the wife on her MTB (avg. HR 119) and then as I wasn't fully sated, I went out again on Sunday morning (avg. HR 140) - still taking it a bit easier than I usually do - just bought the heart rate monitor and trying to keep it down below 140 rather than flogging my guts out going as fast as is (un)comfortable.

Rest day on Monday and then today with the nice weather I decided to extend things a bit and went for 30 miles (avg. HR 149) still taking it a bit easier than pre heart-rate monitor but clearly a smidge more oomph than the weekend. This evening, I'm knackered... legs really ache and a thick/achy head to boot. I'll feel fine in the morning (always do) but struggle to get my head around how I can move to 30, 40, 50, 100 miles comfortably. I managed to get up to 20/22 without too much of a struggle.

There's all the background now for the actual question: Should I/Do I need to be taking a carb/energy drink with me instead of water/Nuun ? Is this why when I go beyond 20 miles I start to suffer?

Any and all input appreciated, Gary.

Comments

• Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    You did something you're not used to so now you're tired. That's normal. Keep doing it and you'll get used to it (and move to 40). I'm assuming this is the problem and not nutrition.

About drinks, I just drink water on my rides (never tried anything else) and all of my rides are 50+ miles so I don't really think that's the problem (as long as you're drinking enough water anyways). I do eat during the ride though. Are you eating enough?
  • garysan
    garysan Posts: 63
    Lightning wrote:
    You did something you're not used to so now you're tired. That's normal. Keep doing it and you'll get used to it (and move to 40). I'm assuming this is the problem and not nutrition.

About drinks, I just drink water on my rides (never tried anything else) and all of my rides are 50+ miles so I don't really think that's the problem (as long as you're drinking enough water anyways). I do eat during the ride though. Are you eating enough?

I had about half a Torq bar at around 2/3 of the way and a litre of water spread over the course of the ride (2hr 20m
  • R8JimBob88
    R8JimBob88 Posts: 285
    Keep well hydrated, drink little and often and take an energy bar or two depending on how hard your pushing it.

I went from being able to do a flat 45 miler to a very hilly 70+ miler since January. Just increase your distance by 5-10 miles every couple of weeks
    If you do what you have always done, you will get what you always got....
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    As a general rule, if I'm planning on being out less than an hour I'll just take water, anything over that and I'll use an energy drink of some sort. Allsports winter training fuel is very good, I'll do 4 hours at a fairly easy pace on a couple of bottles of that without needing any food. Despite the name it can be used all year, it's just designed for the long steady miles typically done in winter...