Pre Ride Checklist?

stevee_p
stevee_p Posts: 37
Hi,

Bit of an odd question, and not exactly one I need answers to, but I was just curious as to how my pre ride check varies from other peoples?

On Saturday a mate and I are doing a 70 mile route, and this is the biggest route we've done so far, so in my head, it feels like I really need to prepare for this.

As such, here are the things I am going to do before the ride:

Oil / grease chain and gears
Fit new tyre (ultra gatorskin to resist p*******'s a bit better than my existing tyres)
Pack 2 spare tubes
pack of patches
check bike is 'tight'
3 x energy gels
2 x energy bars
bit of cash
1 x bottle with energy drink, 1 with water
tyre levers
multi-tool
pump.
check lights

Is there anything else you would take for a 70 ish mile route? Anything I've missed?

It feels more of a big deal than our last route, cos we're getting the train to Brighton from Portsmouth, then cycling back via a few detours, and on our last ride, I got 2 p********s and he got 1.

Cheers

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    This was my checklist prior to my last 200km ride.

Bike - check
    Me - check

Go :lol:
  • stevee_p
    blimey - how did you remember all that? :D
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    I struggle sometimes......
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    @stevee_p

Sounds like pretty much the same routine I have before a ride.

All seems pretty sensible:

1) Check everythings in good working order before you start
    2) Make sure you've got the essentials to get you home again if the p******e/mechanical gremlins attack.
    3) Bit of sustenance & fluids
    4) Money/mobile for emergencies.

The only additional thing I'd take would be a/some spare chain link(s) & chaintool.
    Whereas it's unlikely, you're going nowhere if your chain snaps...
  • stevee_p
    i must admit, i do not own anything that would fix a chain, nor would I have any clue how to fix one either. Whats a ball park figure for the necessary tool to fix it?

I've never had one break in the past (touching wood BIG style now)..........
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    I'm much the same as you.
    I know the bikes ok because I'll have checked/cleaned/oiled it after my previous ride
    I have a bit of a superstition that even if the tyre pressure feels fine, I'll still deflate them
    and take them back up to the required PSI.
    Still going well with my new Gatorskins! :)
    I carry the same tools in a saddle bag.
    You got a rain cape as well?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    stevee_p wrote:
    It feels more of a big deal than our last route, cos we're getting the train to Brighton from Portsmouth, then cycling back via a few detours, and on our last ride, I got 2 p********s and he got 1.

Cheers

Why are people asterisking out the work prostitute?
  • Remember to have a poo.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • stevee_p
    Remember to have a poo.

Like I need to remember. Nature works its magic no matter what the event!

And I don't have a rain cape as such, more a waterproof jacket I have been wearing all winter. This weekend might be a gamble between wearing it or not....
  • stevee_p
    NapoleonD wrote:
    stevee_p wrote:

Cheers

Why are people asterisking out the work prostitute?

Because I can only spell hooker