Recurring pain in the side of the knee

qwerty52
qwerty52 Posts: 14
edited March 2011 in Health, fitness & training
Ok,

So I just got a new bike and feel as though the saddle is about right. After around 2-5 miles though I begin to get a pain in the side of my left knee. It is definitely in the side of the knee, not the front or back.

It didnt happen on the old bike, though i didn't ride that for vey long so I dont know if the new bike is the problem or just if my knee has a weakness that has appeared over time.

Is there anything that commonly causes this issue? Aside from the saddle I mean or should I just keep messing with it?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    How have you arrived at where your saddle position is?
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • qwerty52
    qwerty52 Posts: 14
    By following tutorials and getting just a slight bend in the knee when at the pedal is at the bottom of the stroke.
  • Do you use clipless pedals or flats? If my clipless are not set up exactly how they suit for me, I often get pains as well.
  • Deepunder
    Deepunder Posts: 145
    It may be you're hitting it too hard too soon, similar to shin splints with running.

I had pain on insides of knees but it went away as I got stronger and rode more; for me I think it was going from zero riding to too much too quick. Hammering it in too high a gear rather than raising cadence a little in lower gear may help.

Also seat height may be too low or high like already said.