Can i fit a bigger disc to my disc setup???

mintedlambchops
mintedlambchops Posts: 14
edited February 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I've recently bought a clarks cable disc brake but the disc won't fit the retro hope bulb hub that's got a 5 bolt spider on it. Does anyone know If i can get hold of a 160mm 5 bolt disc from anywhere or can i fit a bigger disc as i've found somewhere that sells 165 and 185mm discs

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yep just get a appropriate adapter for the calliper and the fork/frame.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    is it IS or porst mount?

I fitted cable operated brake, post with IS adapter that is for 160 mm disc, but disc is 165 mm and used a pair of washers to move out the caliper by 2 mm (that is 4 mm out in diameter terms)
  • Load of them on fleabay for <£10...just be warey, the black cheapo ones have very poor tolerances and usually take a lot of messing with to get the brake to align
  • What is IS or porst mount??? it's a brand new caliper bolted to an old school set of forks with the old style disc mounts. I'll try the washer method if i can get a disc from somewhere.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    IS mount - caliper bolts are in line with axle.
    piccy:
    IMG_0697.JPG

post mount have the bolt perpendicular to the axle
    Fox_2008_fork_disc_brake_mounts.jpg

the washer trick will not work wiht IS as that will move one pad closer to the disc. with post mount , adding washer moves the body out thus accomodating a bigger disc.