Leg Extensions - good for cyclists?

bianchimoon
bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
Hi all a question that has been bugging me, standard leg extensions what benefit to a cyclist? as the effort seems to be in straightening the leg out rather than the pushing down (squat) that would benefit a cyclist, does anyone have any thoughts theories as to whether extensions benefit cyclists?
All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....

Comments

• a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    They dont.

Time would be better spent on the bike. Countless threads on this recently.

Improve your power, not your strength.

[cue another 8 pages :)]
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • bianchimoon
    did do a search and nothing returned on training subjects for leg extensions!
    thanks tho, as i suspected, time to get rid of that machine
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • a_n_t wrote:
    They dont.

Time would be better spent on the bike. Countless threads on this recently.

Improve your power, not your strength.

[cue another 8 pages :)]

D'oh! :wink::wink::wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Don't use leg extensions anyway.

That movement where you're isloating your quads doesn't exist in any sporting scenario (unless you count flexing your quads in a bodybuilding environment).

Stick to the squats/deads lifts etc if you're going to do anything weight orientated.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • bianchimoon
    Don't use leg extensions anyway.

That movement where you're isloating your quads doesn't exist in any sporting scenario (unless you count flexing your quads in a bodybuilding environment).

Stick to the squats/deads lifts etc if you're going to do anything weight orientated.
    appreciated- thanks
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I have this machine that helps me do leg extensions. It has a seat mounted above a pair of footrests that you push on with each leg in turn: these are connected on opposite sides of an axle. To make workouts more interesting, when you do the leg extensions the axle turns & is connected by a chain to a wheel, with another wheel at the front for balance.

This means that you can actually move around when you're exercising, which I find much more enjoyable than staying in the gym.
  • Bompington - that machine sounds fantastic. Where can I get one ;-)

Lycra Man
    FCN7 - 1 for SPDs = FCN6
  • bianchimoon
    bompington wrote:
    I have this machine that helps me do leg extensions. It has a seat mounted above a pair of footrests that you push on with each leg in turn: these are connected on opposite sides of an axle. To make workouts more interesting, when you do the leg extensions the axle turns & is connected by a chain to a wheel, with another wheel at the front for balance.

This means that you can actually move around when you're exercising, which I find much more enjoyable than staying in the gym.
    bu99er that's where i was going wrong on the club rides, wondered why i was still sat in the same place at the beginning and end of every ride, someone had nicked the wheels off my weight bench, will complain to wiggle straight away :wink:
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    The only thing leg extensions are good for is making your quads look good in cycling shorts. They don't add much in performance. :)