Overdid it this weekend

geebee2
geebee2 Posts: 248
Slight mis-judgement on my part.

I have been coming along quite nicely, Saturday was a nice day, went out and did a 5 hour solo ride at moderate pace, everything fine.

So, on Saturday evening decided to try club "training ride" for first time.

Sunday morning, there is heavy rain and strong wind. We set off, at 45 miles I'm ok, feeling good on climbs but starting to get cold on descents. It's very, very wet.

Now we turn to go South into strong headwind. Group is down to 4 riders, then 3, then 2, just me and a rather strong rider. I'm struggling to keep with him ( not on his wheel, instead just to the side, over-lapping, to avoid the spray and grit coming up.

At 70 miles ( and quite a lot of hills ) I'm starting to run out of steam. Probably should have had more food, one energy bar doesn't seem to have been enough. But finally we split up around 75 miles, I'm still feeling ok, but this is when things go pear-shaped.

I have only 4 miles to get home, but it's straight into a strong wind, I'm completely soaked, and I make the mistake of easing up for a few minutes. Now I'm getting seriously cold, and by the time I get home I recognise early symptoms of hypothermia.

I made quite a few mistakes:
(1) Didn't take enough food.
(2) Didn't take any money ( so couldn't stop at garage to buy a snack ).
(3) Easing up => got cold ( I was tired, but could probably have kept going ).
(4) Clothing not quite right - but it's really hard to be comfortable in 5 hours of heavy rain.
(5) Probably just bit off too much.

Anyway, today I'm just about ok, but have probably set myself back a little bit.

How was your Sunday?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Well I managed 27 miles solo at my inevitable average 14 mph. Undulating route and managed to find a headwind for about two thirds of it, but the rain held off completely. Coming home downhill with a tailwind was a hoot though.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    a 5hour solo and then following up with a 75miler the following day is a pretty tough ask IMO.

I did 127.5miles at an avg of 16.3mph on Sat, didn't fancy the bike much for the next couple of days :lol:
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 1,387
    My Sunday was on the mountain bike. Started off with 3 miles of climbing right into the teeth of the wind - very nasty and ended up dropping to the granny ring when I'd normally get up on the middle ring. Not too bad after that though as most of the rest of the route was either more sheltered or with the wind behind.

My usual road bike route would have been pretty unpleasant on the "out" leg, but fast on the way back home!
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    3 1/2 hours steady pace small group club ride. Really nice, avoided the rain, was just what the doctor ordered. Especially after the club awards ceremony the night before - hence the small group! :)
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    geebee2 wrote:

Anyway, today I'm just about ok, but have probably set myself back a little bit.

How was your Sunday?

Sounds like a good solid weekend of riding, getting cold towards the end shouldn't be a problem, it was only 4 miles so not too long.

Have a day or two of rest and you will be fine, I doubt you have set yourself back at all, probably helped you to be honest.

My Sunday was pretty good, sporting TT in the morning, followed by 2.5 hours with Jibberjim around the Surrey Hills afterwards, got throughly soaked in the process.
  • If you're doing long rides back to back remember to eat plenty whilst on the bike. That's where refuelling for the next day starts.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • JST
    JST Posts: 158
    geebee2 wrote:
    How was your Sunday?

Went to the pub and had roast beef :oops: Was nice though. Wish I was allowed out on my bike for 5 hours on a sunday - only gonna get worse when the baby comes along :lol:

You guys on here that spend hours on a weekend riding, are you single? or if not does the mrs go with you? - Sorry probably a topic for another time/thread... Carry on!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My mrs. was scowling a bit when I got back after 2 hours!

It generally goes better if I plan a ride and warn her in advance that I'm going missing for a few hours.

Kids are at university.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Mrs and 13 y/o daughter, both are very understanding, luckily!, the only time they "come with" is when I do certain events, they'll sometimes come and spectate at TT's, or crits.
  • JST
    JST Posts: 158
    Hmm my Mrs doesn't really understand my need to go cycling for hours on end and wear lycra, or spending money on another bike when I "already have a perfectly good bike" :lol:

I think when the mornings get lighter and weather better I will have to try and geat some early rides in at the weekends...
  • geebee2
    geebee2 Posts: 248
    You guys on here that spend hours on a weekend riding, are you single? or if not does the mrs go with you?

I'm married, but kids are now 18 (driving) and 16, so I'm generally fairly superfluous nowadays (apart from bringing in the cash), no problem going out for long rides.

I often don't have the use of a car though, since daughter has wife's. wife has mine, so cycling is ideal.