Electrolyte drink sans nasties: does it exist?

I used to use Nuuns for running in the summer: decent drinkability and had heard they were fairly 'pure' - but then heard even they contained several questionable ingredients.

TORQ appear to be the best product in terms of 'no crap' - but they do not do an electrolyte-only drink (it has carb too).

Any answers / views? Make your own?

Comments

• Surfr
    Surfr Posts: 243
    What are you trying to avoid?

SIS Super Hydro contains:

Super Hydro 15:30 Berry ingredients.
    Electrolytes (48%) (sodium chloride, calcium lactate, sodium citrate, potassium chloride magnesium lactate, zinc lactate), dextrose, berry flavouring, citric acid, elderberry extract (3%), sweetener (sucralose), vitamins (1%) (pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, thiamine).
  • thanks Surfr but I never got on with SIS - awful sickly sweet stuff in my opinion, thanks to overuse of artifical sweetners.

But have not tried 'Super Hydro' specifically, so maybe that's different.
  • Try High 5 zero. I use them quite a bit as I find it really helps keep the cramp at bay.
  • I've used this for years, it is basically only electrolytes and nothing else. You add it to water:

http://www.eletewater.co.uk/
  • penugent
    penugent Posts: 913
    I used to use Nuuns for running in the summer: decent drinkability and had heard they were fairly 'pure' - but then heard even they contained several questionable ingredients.

TORQ appear to be the best product in terms of 'no crap' - but they do not do an electrolyte-only drink (it has carb too).

Any answers / views? Make your own?

How long/fast do you ride?

Do you need anything other than a normal diet and water?

A lot of people use commercial drinks that are not necessary when considered in the light of the riding that they do.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I thought that all of them were nasty. At least taste wise.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Don't have it in your water, take tablets of electrolytes with regular water, no bad taste and you can choose the dose.

Hammer Endurolytes or MyProtein Electrolytes both work well.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    The standard gatorade powder (unfortunately not marketed in the UK I think) is pretty much just salts and carbs as far as I remember.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    P.S. Even a drink intended to be purely for electrolyte replenishment will contain carbs/sugars - it's required by the gut to provide the energy needed to actively absorb the electrolytes into the blood stream.
  • Gatorade.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Not much sugar in these:
    http://www.highfive.co.uk/zero_INT.php
  • thanks all - will look up your suggestions
    penugent wrote:
    How long/fast do you ride?

Do you need anything other than a normal diet and water?

A lot of people use commercial drinks that are not necessary when considered in the light of the riding that they do.

I take your point, and I probably wouldn't bother if I didn't run very hot. I'm a prodigious sweat-monkey and in a 50-min spin class I will lose A LOT (several lbs in weight).

I feel a bit better knowing that I'm replenishing the salts / sugars etc rather than just filling myself up like a balloon with water.

But I do reserve carbs (whether in drink or bar form) for long rides and / or runs.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I buy constituent ingredients from myprotein. You can buy pure electrolyte salt powder:
    http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/electrolyte_powder

Contains
    Per 800mg serving:
    Chloride: 320mg
    Sodium: 210mg
    Potassium: 60mg
    Calcium: 30mg
    Magnesium: 6mg
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    +1 for Elete Water. Only electrolytes, with no taste. Tried the High5 Zero too, and it was ok, but tasted far too sweet even when over-diluted.
  • Aapje
    Aapje Posts: 77
    I make my own. It's really not that much effort. Two scoops of maltodextrin powder and 2/3 of a scoop of fructose. A 2:1 or 3:1 ratio between the two is generally considered optimal. Then add a little salt and/or lemon juice as desired (in winter, I don't add these, since I don't sweat as much and the cold neutralizes the poor taste).

I'm of the opinion that most people don't need all those extra electrolytes and vitamins, unless you do hard 8 hour races or eat badly (not enough fruit and veggies). Of course, you can toss in electrolyte powder if you prefer.

Advantages:
    - Not much effort to make
    - Not very sweet
    - Customisable level of salt
    - Customisable carb/water ratio
    - Customisable taste (lemon juice, fruit syrup or artifical sweetener of your choice)
    - Cheap (buy maltodextrin and fructose in bulk)
    - No weird/useless/unknown/doping additives
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Aapje wrote:
    I make my own. It's really not that much effort. Two scoops of maltodextrin powder and 2/3 of a scoop of fructose. A 2:1 or 3:1 ratio between the two is generally considered optimal. Then add a little salt and/or lemon juice as desired (in winter, I don't add these, since I don't sweat as much and the cold neutralizes the poor taste).

I'm of the opinion that most people don't need all those extra electrolytes and vitamins, unless you do hard 8 hour races or eat badly (not enough fruit and veggies). Of course, you can toss in electrolyte powder if you prefer.

Advantages:
    - Not much effort to make
    - Not very sweet
    - Customisable level of salt
    - Customisable carb/water ratio
    - Customisable taste (lemon juice, fruit syrup or artifical sweetener of your choice)
    - Cheap (buy maltodextrin and fructose in bulk)
    - No weird/useless/unknown/doping additives

Yeah I just stick a load of maltodextrin in the bottle, sometimes with a bit of protein and if it's hot, with some electrolyte salts. The overall taste is neutral, if slightly creamy (whey protein) with a hint of salt... You can add fruit juice if you want to hide that. It's much cheaper this way than buying branded energy drinks...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.