Flat bar shifters (road bike) - compatability issues?

rustychain
rustychain Posts: 19
edited January 2011 in Workshop
Hi

I'm looking to try some flat bars on my road bike. I've got hold of some Shimano R-770 flat bar shifters from eBay.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-r770-10 ... ifter-set/

Reading the Wiggle site, it looks like my existing Ultega front mech and 105 rear mech won't be compatible! :(

I understand that there's a difference between road and MTB shifters (amount of cable pull?), but I was expecting that these 'road' shifters would work with my existing 10 speed road mechs.

Is Shimano pulling a fast one, or should the mechs work? Interested in views before I waste time trying to set things up.

Cheers

Sean

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I would try your existing front mech first - manufacturers make many claims about non-compatibility whereas in reality in many cases can be made to work.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    rear will be fine. I run the R700s with various Shimano mechs and it's perfect.

front will probably be fine - if you run a double or compact then it will be fine. If you run a triple then you may need the R700 series front mech.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Thanks for the responses.

I'm running a triple on the front. :( Doh! I'll give it a go. If it doesn't work, that's another £30+ to find for a front mech...
  • PeterBL
    PeterBL Posts: 209
    Rear will be fine, but I guess you need a new front mech. The flat bar shifters use the MTB pull ratio up front, and it is quite different than the road one.