Shimano Dura Ace 7850 wheels

Turnbull2000
Turnbull2000 Posts: 189
edited February 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi,

My Bontrager Race X Lites are pretty battered and probably in need of replacement - the front wheel in particular after a nasty pot hole damaged the rim. I always assumed I'd just get like-for-like, but I've seen some favourable comments on Shimano's Dura-Ace 7850 wheels - one arguing that they're superior to the RXLs.

What's the prevailing thoughts around here on the Shimano wheels?

Thanks!

Comments

• galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Well liked from what I remember seeing and was very close to getting them myself when I plumped for HED Ardennes at the last minute when I found them for £449.
    Shimano's are £476 at Merlin with the extra 10% off currently.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • I've seen these on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pair-Shimano-Dura ... 439d21b3b9

But they're labelled SL rather than TL like in the review below. I see there's a CL too! What's the difference?

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... t-10-35764

I'm budgeting around £500-700 for these wheels.
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    I've got 7850CL's and they're fantastic :D The SL's are different wheels altogether though, CL means carbon laminate rims, SL's are scadium I belive.

I'd just get them from Merlin as it's a great price and a great supplier. Keep hearing about the HED's though and they sound interesting also.
  • ADIHEAD wrote:
    I've got 7850CL's and they're fantastic :D The SL's are different wheels altogether though, CL means carbon laminate rims, SL's are scadium I belive.

I'd just get them from Merlin as it's a great price and a great supplier. Keep hearing about the HED's though and they sound interesting also.

So what are the TL's?!
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    ADIHEAD wrote:

So what are the TL's?!

I believe the TL are for tubeless but never come across them. Have a read of this http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content ... heels.html
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    There are many versions of the 7850 c24.

Tl are the tubeless versions.

Cl are the carbon clinchers.

Sl are scandium rimmed versions.

There is also a TU version (tubular) which uses a full carbon rim, braking surface everything.

The most commonly talked about and probably purchased are the CL24.

I've got a pair and they are very nice wheels with a sublime ride quality. The wheels I can compare them to that I've actually ridden (in the same £ bracket) are Mavic R SYS and ksyium elites. The r sys were stiffer but not as plush. I'd def like a pair of those at some point. The ksyrium elites weren't in the same league as either in road feel or excitement although are cheaper and apparently "that word" that I hate and won't say but has something to do with explosive devices.

I really like the cl24, so much so that I'm considering buying some more for when I trash them before the 7850 becomes completely replaced by awful looking 7900. I'm not really that into the looks of the 7850 either (red spoke nipples, no thanks) and they don't suit my bike at all but the ride negates all that. That's coming from someone utterly obsessive over aesthetics. To me they are a nice balanced wheel. Climb well, handle well, comfy, brake well, just enjoyable to ride so I use them every day and they have proven robust. I crashed mine at about 20, bent the bars round 45 degrees and the wheel is fine.

If you want high performance for racing or whatever you could get stiffer, more aero wheels.
  • Wow, thanks Evil Laugh!

I gather these are the wheels here, though the picture shows the nipples black rather than the awful red.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=61004

And these are the aero versions. I could certainly afford £900, but is there really a noticeable performance gain?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=29933
  • Evil Laugh
    Ok I'm confused, the one's I particularly dont like the look of are the sl. Those new 7950 cl24 look better with black spokes, will have to get some of them.

The c50 are totally different wheels to the c24. They're pretty heavy and deep so will be less responsive. Depends what you want them for as to which you will benefit from. As a sole set of wheels I'd get the shallow c24 clinchers.

I have a set of 42mm aero wheels and they are sometimes difficult to handle in windy weather and more sluggish on the hills. I've nearly come a cropper on them over a bridge, a sudden gust ripping my front wheel into the direction of oncoming traffic as I was overtaking in the middle of the road.
  • I'd have though that "7950" was a typo, as it doesn't exist anywhere else?
  • Pretre
    Pretre Posts: 355
    I'd have though that "7950" was a typo, as it doesn't exist anywhere else?

7950 is the replacement for the 7850 - I believe they're on sale now in the C35 version but not sure about the C24.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I think 7950 is a typo on CRC's website.

Interestingly Shimano are launching a 38mm rim to sit between the 24 and 50 which may be an interesting balance between optimal climbing and speed - a bit like the Zipp 303's.

I have the R-Sys premiums which are in the process of replacing previous generation dura ace wheels and I have to say I have found them extremely good and comfortable. The comfort may have more to do with the fact the dura ace have conti 4 seasons and the r-sys vittoria corsa's - a bit chalk and cheese to be fair!!

Peter
  • These seem to be the correctly labelled latest version, the 7900 C24 CLs, with black on the spokes rather than red.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... 0C24CL.htm

There's also a 35mm version ( a compromise on the 50mm), but they retail at over £1000. F*ck, I hate choosing :lol:
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    It's not a typo on CRC's website. They've new graphics etc.
    Snapped up a set of the 7850 50mm CLs from Planet X and now tempted by the C24 CLs for windy/hillier days.
  • Lagavulin wrote:
    It's not a typo on CRC's website. They've new graphics etc.
    Snapped up a set of the 7850 50mm CLs from Planet X and now tempted by the C24 CLs for windy/hillier days.

Shouldn't the name on CRC be 7900 not 7950 then?
  • Lagavulin wrote:
    Oops! Yes. :oops:

I've fired off an email to them to clarify.
  • Evil Laugh
    These seem to be the correctly labelled latest version, the 7900 C24 CLs, with black on the spokes rather than red.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... 0C24CL.htm

There's also a 35mm version ( a compromise on the 50mm), but they retail at over £1000. F*ck, I hate choosing :lol:

I bet the c35 is a nice really wheel, just expensive at the moment.
  • Lagavulin wrote:
    Oops! Yes. :oops:

I've fired off an email to them to clarify.

Still no reply from CRC. Anyone heard of MerlinCycles.co.uk? Might just buy the wheels through them instead.
  • Evil Laugh
    Yeah Merlin are awesome.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Brilliant wheels. But only thing that narks me is that if I ever wanted to go campag with them I couldnt ...and no campag compatible wheel at the price seems to come close either.
  • mfin wrote:
    Brilliant wheels. But only thing that narks me is that if I ever wanted to go campag with them I couldnt ...and no campag compatible wheel at the price seems to come close either.

You can with a Jtek 1, I use them so I can use all my wheelsets with all my bikes works flawlessly.

http://www.jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • Evil Laugh
    And an ambrosio cassette if you're on campag 10 speed.

To be honest I stuck my DA wheels on my 10 speed record bike and they worked fine bar the biggest cog on the rear with a shimano cassette.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Interesting the jtek stuff.

I was only thinking 11 speed, so its down to no freehub being made to physically get an 11speed Campag cassette on there. I'd have thought a few more people would go for this wheel if that was possible.
  • Just ordered the 7900 C24 CLs. Thanks for input all.