Getting used to rollers

JimboPlob
JimboPlob Posts: 397
Hi

I have spent about 40 mins in total on my new rollers. I can ride unsupported fairley well now but notice that I am very tense in the body when I am on them. I feel like I want to shift in the saddle but havent got the confidence to do this, so kind of stay frozen in the same position until I stop.

How long does it typically take to ride them comfortably?

Is it ok to shift in the saddle or am I asking to come off?

Thanks

Comments

• Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Practice no hands - it's actually easier than you'd think and once you can do that it'll give you confidence. Early days yet - 3-4 sessions in you'll be fine if you can ride them for an extended period anyway straight off.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • one of the best pieces of advice i got when starting track was to wiggle your fingers after coming out of the bankings onto the straight. try it on the rollers too, it really helps relax the body..
    Music and Bikes and Alligators
    http://www.richsemple.wordpress.com
  • I've had mine for two weeks now and done 6 sessions so far.

When I started off I had the vulcan death grip and bounced off the door way every few minutes.

Now I can ride one handed, get a drink, transfer from the tops, to drop and hood with no issues which helps the hand ache.

I've found shifting position is okay as long as you don't have any jerky movements.

My conclusion is that the more you think about what you are doing the less stable I am.
    Cheers

Andy
    Cyclist, Massage Therapist & Ice Cream Genius
    Andrew Creer Massage
  • darren H
    darren H Posts: 122
    It really is a matter of time. I did 70 mins tonight in the 53x 12 sprocket and can do that comfy.
    Your arse gets use to the constant sitting.
    You do relax after a few sessions as well. I do no hands twice over the hour for a minute or so just to give my back a rest and a change.

Id recommend an tune or two. I phone for me.
    Some good dance tunes have got me through many a roller session. I try and treat my roller sessions as just work. Get on, do your bit and get off.

Good luck
  • faster wheel speed = easier

most people make the mistake of going too slow first. put the hammer down immediately and you will be fine.

seen some poeple get on without holding on to anything while drinking with the other hand :shock: they start on the 53x11 and get up to speed immediately so its easy.