Are Superstar components any good?

13»

Comments

• captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    If you have a problem with a retailer, take it to your local trading standards they will be able to advise and do the mediation for you.

My experiences with superstar have all been fine, but it has all been simple stuff like rotors, mounts and tools. But with the rep of their BBs, I probably won't go with them for a headset.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • had no issues placed 2 orders of the following
    brake pads
    ti qr skewers
    29er wheelset

all received quick time, wheelset in proper packaging and free sweets.

cheers
  • This thread certainly digressed, once again.

So hang on... you bought some AM wheels, broke them, repaired them and broke them, so they sent you DH wheels (correct me if I'm wrong). I can see how some minute proportion of the population might think that as poor customer service but...

To me, that sounds like I bought a Landrover Freelander (their marketing actually claim it's a go-anywhere vehicle), broke it in the Gobi desert, so they sent me this:

i033702.jpg

How dare they.

Sad to hear about your family, truly am. But there's thousands of tougher things that millions of people have to deal with out there. To let your situation escalate to such an extent would be quite sad on both parties. It's easy to blame uncontrollable events on others, it's human nature. I can't help but sound patronising (and I don't mean to), but at the end of the day it's a set of wheels.

Your argument is based on false advertising. It's not like Stan's were claiming their Crest rims can do 15ft drops, and I'm sure some people do use those SS AM rims as lightweight DH wheels. It's all about being sensible with preconceived perceptions. Some people can use 160mm AM bikes to DH (all mountain alpine tackler is the usual marketing blurb), Gee Atherton would destroy it in seconds, doesn't mean the marketing was wrong though.

Like I said before, you hear 95% of the bad stuff and 5% of the good. You've somehow managed to single-handedly turn half of this thread negative.. now that's dedication.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited December 2010
    <double post>
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Mmmmm. Im surprised by this thread I must say. I've got hope hoops on one bike and SS AM's on another. I also use SS pads at every oportunity. And I've got a SS chain devive. All match what I'd expect given what I've paid for them. The surprise for me is the SS AM rims whcih in the same conditions are way more durable then the hope's DT on the same bike one the same tracks.

And I'm a clumsy heavy efcker. In all honest I'd buy the SS AMs in preference.

TBF I've never returned an item to SS - some stuff is too cheap to be worth it (eg SS grips). Everything else lasts till I crash it. Then I dont complain - its my fault.

As an aside - as someone asked the chain device is a 4* item. It's a clone of a well known item - but it doesnt come with any instructions. Zero,. But it's easy to google the e 13 guide. (I didnt say that out loud!) And it works the just about the same,
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    jimmyp1873 wrote:
    has anybody got any experiance of superstar chain devices or the ignite pedals

I've got the XCR chain device on the rigid... It's very effective and cheaper than the competition, good kit. Could do with being able to adjust the cage position without using the BB spacers- spacing the cage over would be far easier but I think the MRP one is the same. Recommended. Just ordered a Plasma to try.

If you just want the roller, I'd say just go for a Blackspire Stinger, they're not that much more expensive and it doesn't tie you to a single parts supplier.
    You've somehow managed to single-handedly turn half of this thread negative.. now that's dedication.

Don't think that's really fair, he made his initial comment but everything since has been in response to other people's questions and comments, not really single handed.
    To me, that sounds like I bought a Landrover Freelander (their marketing actually claim it's a go-anywhere vehicle), broke it in the Gobi desert

Not really- it's like buying a Freelander, using it to nip to the shops and having it break, then Landrover they say "You must have put the milk in too hard, for as hard hitting a shopper as you we'd recommend a tank".

I think Pete doesn't explain this too well. He points out SS say they're suitable for DH racing, and I think some people take that as meaning he's used them for DH. But he never did, he's only used them on his 456 for everyday XC stuff, on trails he's done dozens of times with XC rims. Anyone who knows Glentress red knows that it's no major test of hardware.

Obviously abuse or accident can break anything but I know his riding and SS's version of events doesn't hold water with me. Just my opinion but if anyone's really bored they can go view his vids on Vimeo and tell us if you think he should need DH rims on his XC hardtail.

But (I've told him this so I don't feel bad saying it here) I think he made an arse of the original thread, started off with good intentions but it just wasn't that well considered, and it went in a bad direction and he never reined it in. And as you see, he never stops trying to explain it all :lol: Plus he should have returned the rims as they were, getting them worked on was a mistake. Neither side's covered themselves in glory but I reckon he's basically in the right despite all that.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I have bought grips and pads from them. I occasionally get the wrong pads shipped, but so far it has been Kevlar instead of sintered. My mate ordered some Sintered just before Xmas and got organic instead, said that they are hard to contact.

My experience has always been good.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Northwind wrote:

But (I've told him this so I don't feel bad saying it here) I think he made an ars* of the original thread, started off with good intentions but it just wasn't that well considered, and it went in a bad direction and he never reined it in. And as you see, he never stops trying to explain it all :lol: Plus he should have returned the rims as they were, getting them worked on was a mistake. Neither side's covered themselves in glory but I reckon he's basically in the right despite all that.

He had moral rights and the law on his side till he got a wheel builder involved. At that precise moment all his customer rights ended and it was then down to the vendor to offer what he felt was acceptable. I got the feeling that someone then went after SS with all guns blazing and made things even worse.

Citizens Advice Beauru should have been the first port of call when the initial problem occured they would have told him what to do and given him specimen letters to copy and fill in the blanks they would also have tried to phone on his behalf if needed. Consumer law is generally on our side but the number one no no is do not work on the item until authorised by the vendor.

I dont know if the lad got any wheels out of it but if he got something he was very lucky 99 % of companies would have told him tough tits. If he got something which he is not happy with then in the circumstances he should stick them on ebay get some money back and count it as a valuable but expensive life lesson.

After all its only £200 my nephew does a paper round for £30 a week so 7 weeks delivering the daily rag its not the end of the world.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Oh, now we start on this stupid "get a job" shit, well I have tried but either they don't want somebody like me, there is no work placements available or the school that I went to refused their permission to allow me to work (since I'm under 16 they can do that) so it was a lot of money for me. And since both my mum and dad are unable to work as well...

Maybe I should point out that SS said they had inspected the wheels and said the work my local mech did on them was top notch, some of the best they had ever seen (they obviously knew they were shite when they left their hands then :roll: ) and that they expected the wheels would need a bed in period (so they hadn't pre-stressed them, already looking bad) and I told them I had the nipples pro-locked which helped a little (his response was that pro-lock was pointless and did nothing, that was what put the nail in the coffin for their wheel builder for me). They also went on to mention that they had a "free" re-tensioning service but that they would not cover the costs of shipping :roll: and did they have any mention of this anywhere whatsoever, not one

Forgive me if I can't explain myself very well, english is a very bad point for me but if Northwind can understand what I'm saying, then surely anyone else can if they just read the post properly
  • Mmmmm. Im surprised by this thread I must say. I've got hope hoops on one bike and SS AM's on another. I also use SS pads at every oportunity. And I've got a SS chain devive. All match what I'd expect given what I've paid for them. The surprise for me is the SS AM rims whcih in the same conditions are way more durable then the hope's DT on the same bike one the same tracks.

And I'm a clumsy heavy efcker. In all honest I'd buy the SS AMs in preference.

TBF I've never returned an item to SS - some stuff is too cheap to be worth it (eg SS grips). Everything else lasts till I crash it. Then I dont complain - its my fault.

As an aside - as someone asked the chain device is a 4* item. It's a clone of a well known item - but it doesnt come with any instructions. Zero,. But it's easy to google the e 13 guide. (I didnt say that out loud!) And it works the just about the same,
    i think that confirms what i first thought, it was a dodgy build and not really the rims fault.

After receiving an order from them today, my experience with them is good, I ordered some nano pedals and grips from them a couple of days ago and they arrived todayt with a little packet of haribo too.

Companies, remember this, a little packet of sweet doesn't seen like much to you but it impacts on who people choose to place orders with. I'll be buying from you again and I hope i get my haribo. :D
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    peter413 wrote:

Forgive me if I can't explain myself very well, english is a very bad point for me but if Northwind can understand what I'm saying, then surely anyone else can if they just read the post properly

I'd stop biting now if I were you.

Everything is pretty clear to those that know how the story rolls and Northwind has a good grip on it. You made one major fuck up, that's all, and that's getting the wheel builder in on it, but it's all done and dusted now.

Anybody who wants feedback regarding SS just has to a do search in the various bike forums to get the low down. It's a mixture of good and bad, like most places.
  • captainfly
    stubs wrote:
    Northwind wrote:

But (I've told him this so I don't feel bad saying it here) I think he made an ars* of the original thread, started off with good intentions but it just wasn't that well considered, and it went in a bad direction and he never reined it in. And as you see, he never stops trying to explain it all :lol: Plus he should have returned the rims as they were, getting them worked on was a mistake. Neither side's covered themselves in glory but I reckon he's basically in the right despite all that.

He had moral rights and the law on his side till he got a wheel builder involved. At that precise moment all his customer rights ended and it was then down to the vendor to offer what he felt was acceptable. I got the feeling that someone then went after SS with all guns blazing and made things even worse.

Citizens Advice Beauru should have been the first port of call when the initial problem occured they would have told him what to do and given him specimen letters to copy and fill in the blanks they would also have tried to phone on his behalf if needed. Consumer law is generally on our side but the number one no no is do not work on the item until authorised by the vendor.

I dont know if the lad got any wheels out of it but if he got something he was very lucky 99 % of companies would have told him tough tits. If he got something which he is not happy with then in the circumstances he should stick them on ebay get some money back and count it as a valuable but expensive life lesson.

After all its only £200 my nephew does a paper round for £30 a week so 7 weeks delivering the daily rag its not the end of the world.

Firstly it is trading standards not CAB when involving sale of goods etc..
    Secondlyit could easily be argued that a wheel is a device that does require adjustment as a matter of course and that taking the wheell to a professisonal is the right course of actionto keep it working. If components fail because they are not fit for purpose, advertised or implied thenhaving the input of an external 'expert' could easily help your case.

As far as the money goes itreally is just a way of keeping score. I defend my rights over coppers just on principal :wink:
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    edited December 2010
    captainfly wrote:

Firstly it is trading standards not CAB when involving sale of goods etc..
    Secondlyit could easily be argued that a wheel is a device that does require adjustment as a matter of course and that taking the wheell to a professisonal is the right course of actionto keep it working. If components fail because they are not fit for purpose, advertised or implied thenhaving the input of an external 'expert' could easily help your case.

As far as the money goes itreally is just a way of keeping score. I defend my rights over coppers just on principal :wink:

Agreed on all that but the "external expert" in this case should have explicitly told him to return the wheels and get a refund and not took the money and done a repair job on them. It just taints any legitimate claim the wheels weren't fit for purpose because it can be argued you can no longer establish if it was the wheels at fault or the subsequent repair work. It muddies the water unnecessarily.
  • Eyon
    Eyon Posts: 623
    had my order come from SSC this morning, with the haribo, cant complain here once again great service
  • I have bought a few things from them and they arrived quickly AND no further problems.
    My dad died of a heart attack last January but I don't think Superstar were too blame, I am going to look into this.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    TowerRider wrote:
    I have bought a few things from them and they arrived quickly AND no further problems.
    My dad died of a heart attack last January but I don't think Superstar were too blame, I am going to look into this.

I blame Wiggle.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I think stubs' argument is pretty sound and I certainly wouldn't expect trading standards to give a poo unless the supplier was blatantly ignoring consumer rights. The cab are better placed to advise on this than trading standards, though worth remembering that they are are a charity. I don't think you can confuse maintenance with repair either.

But to be fair to pete, he's a minor so can't be expected to know the law. Still he does have a better grasp now.

I don't think the Pete's wheels debate should be a black Mark against SS. I certainly didn't see evidence of bad behaviour during the saga
  • captainfly
    diy wrote:
    I think stubs' argument is pretty sound and I certainly wouldn't expect trading standards to give a poo unless the supplier was blatantly ignoring consumer rights. The cab are better placed to advise on this than trading standards, though worth remembering that they are are a charity. I don't think you can confuse maintenance with repair either.

There in is the key factor maintainance, as in truing and tensioning after first few rides. I don't know the full story. Trading Standards don't have a pop they are a coucil department who are there to help you and know where you stand as far as the provision of goods and services, CAB are not specific enough and are often really busy.
    diy wrote:
    But to be fair to pete, he's a minor so can't be expected to know the law. Still he does have a better grasp now.

I don't think the Pete's wheels debate should be a black Mark against SS. I certainly didn't see evidence of bad behaviour during the saga

I haven't got a bad word about SSC (it is just theory of law) and think the situation was probably not handled well by either side but it does look like SSC tried, I am unsure what else they could have done other than refund or replace with an item that would fit the purpose, like I said before if you think things will get complicated just ask the people you pay your taxes for to help.
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

• My order from Superstar arrived this morning and I'm impressed, the nano flats are top quality and so are the grips. I'll be buying from them again.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'm sorry the thread digressed: that was my fault. But as it was happening in just about every SS thread that was started I felt it would be better to thrash the details out once and for all, and make sure it does not spill over to any future threads. This is the last thread that I will allow the discussion of the Peter incident to happen.
  • baser
    baser Posts: 127
    Use their brake pads all the time, I cant believe how long the organic ones last????

Top draw, although hey do send out the wrong ones every now and again.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    captainfly wrote:
    I haven't got a bad word about SSC (it is just theory of law) and think the situation was probably not handled well by either side but it does look like SSC tried, I am unsure what else they could have done other than refund or replace with an item that would fit the purpose, like I said before if you think things will get complicated just ask the people you pay your taxes for to help.

Except they didn't offer a refund or an item that was fit for purpose, they are to damn heavy so make the bike handle worse and obviously heavier
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    captainfly wrote:
    Trading Standards don't have a pop they are a coucil department who are there to help you and know where you stand as far as the provision of goods and services, CAB are not specific enough and are often really busy.

Trading Standards are the people with the legal clout, CAB as said are a charity and very stretched but I have found them very helpful on the 2 occasions I have gone to them. In one case they were able to sort out a problem by getting on the phone and having a quick chat with the vendor after the form letter they gave me to customise didnt work.

On the 2nd occasion they did there best with the soft talk but after getting nowhere pointed me in the direction of Trading Standards who used the big stick.

My opinion if you have a local CAB give them a try what have you got to lose, going straight to the council makes it official which sometimes can backfire.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap