Are Superstar components any good?

MarkHod1
MarkHod1 Posts: 21
edited December 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi I am looking to replace my headset and rear hub on my bike as they are pretty fooked and my budget is bugger all and I came across superstar components which seem decent enough gear at prices I can afford. Just wondering what people's experiences are with superstars gear good or bad?
cheers anyone that can help

Comments

• bigpee
    bigpee Posts: 205
    I've been impressed so far. Ordered grips, brake pads and wheels off them. The test came with the wheels which I had to return. They replaced the faulty rear and gave me a new front no questions asked. That said I've not actually used these wheels as they were spare wheels and I no longer need them so they're now up for sale on ebay if you're interested ;) .
    Current bikes:
    Norco Sight 3 SE (on order)
    Specialized Allez 2010

Old bikes:
    Commencal META 55 custom build (Stolen :( )
    Boardman HT Comp 2010
    GT Avalance 1.0 2006(ish)
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    They make some great components but I found the company themselves very bad to deal with (very slow responses, I know this one is partly down to demand, several emails were ignored and they were very rude and aggressive to me and my parents). I know there are many people who have nothing but good things to say but this is my experience with them
  • Eyon
    Eyon Posts: 623
    I've placed 4 orders off them now, and all have been shipped the same day even when ordering late. Not tried to contact him but am very happy with the delivery, the products and the prices!
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    ive only had brake pads from them so far but been pretty good,next day delivery apart from one occasion when i had a email to say they'd been dispatched followed by one the next day to say they'd actually ran out of stock.turned up a few days latter,just ordered a chain device had a email to say its been dispatched today so providing the posties are up to speed it should be here tomorrow.
    At the end of the day there loads cheaper than other suppliers.
    I think they should increase there product range though, bash rings for one, and there was some talk of floating discs earlier this year
  • alitodd
    alitodd Posts: 104
    The guys at Superstar are heroes. Granted, there's the occasional slip-up, but that can be put down to the huge demand.

They're a pleasure to deal with. Highly recommended by most people, and best of all, dirt cheap. (if you're wondering how they're so cheap, it's something to do with buying/ selling directly, thus negating trade mark-up's.

We love them at Dirt.
    I know not where I am going, my future will decide. But it's not the destination, it's the glory of the ride.

Giant Reign X1 2009 (With shiny bits)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No problems at all. Ignore Peter. If you do a search you may find a long, long thread about his trials and tribulations.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • peter413
    Ignore me if you want, just stating my experience and you actually read that thread properly, you will find I was asking where I stood legally, not slating SS as everyone seems to be saying.

SS seemed to ignore the legal side anyway but I won't go fully into that
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Free haribo with each order.
    Grips are nice & I plan to order more bits.
  • Good experiences from my point of view. You'll hear bad experiences, but that's cos 95% of the good ones you don't hear, and 95% of the bad ones you do! Such is life.

There was a delay on my order, contacted Superstar, tracked my order... arrived a 2days late but always good communication in between. They prowl these forums and pick up any problems too. Not many people would have time to do that. Cheap as chips as you can see... Their Switch Evo XC wheelset came runner up in MBUK behind Hope+Crest and I got a pair for £125 brand new delivered. Bargain.

Other than the wheels, everything I've ordered have turned up the next day. The complimentary packets of Haribo even on cheap orders makes me smile. It's the simple things.
  • Good experiences myself - grips and wheels up to now, pads when I need them which I might need after today.
  • done 5 or 6 orders off them now, mostly small but got a set of wheels off them. cant fault any of the stuff ive bought, and the only time ive had to contact them it took 2 attempts on the phone to get through, cant really complain as its quite a small company :)

would 100% reccomend them.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Been good so far, had wheels, grips, rotors, pads, seat collars, all seem fine!
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I've been using their brake pads for nearly two years and have had no problems.

Tried one of their BB's and the bearings were awful, started going crunchy within weeks, stripped and repacked them with grease, seemed not to have been packed properly in the first place.

They lasted only five months of summer riding, four months shorter that usual.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It's probably best you don't accuse them of ignoring their legal obligations then Peter if you wont constructively post why, is not really fair.
  • peter413
    supersonic wrote:
    It's probably best you don't accuse them of ignoring their legal obligations then Peter if you wont constructively post why, is not really fair.

Ok then, they admitted the product was not fit for purpose and that means I am entitled to a refund am I not? They refused which led to a huge argument between them and my parents which eventually ended up with both of them being in bed for a week after (because of exhaustion basically) and partly because of this (not fully because of it though) dad just went back into hospital again yesterday morning (he got out this morning again though thankfully) but luckily wasn't another heart attack but they are sure it was stress related (guess what has been the stressful thing lately..).

Now I know SS weren't to know about this but they shouldn't be acting like this anyway. So forgive me if I feel a little bitter about the company since they also made me loose about £200
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    +1 on what super said.

I am quite a big guy and break more components than everyone I know put together, so get to test a lot of customer service =-)

Superstar have the best customer service in the UK.
    Hope usually have that reputation; Hope even offered to drop spares parts off at my house after work because something was damaged in transit. Hope are great, but superstar is better to their clients.

Last time a SS component broke I got an e-mail from one of the directors apologising. Said it was OK, these things happen, but a shame as it will mess up my weekend as going biking.
    I do not know how they did it, but the replacement parts arrived with me the next day.
    Complained after office closed, got replacements next day.
    They used a same day courier so my weekend was not ruined.
    For anyone who does not know, same day couriers often get into triple figures in cost.

So good value products with amazing customer support.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • supersonic
    Sorry to hear about your parents. If you have it in writing that they sold you a product not fit for the advertised purpose then take them to the small claims court and get your money back.
  • peter413
    Normally I would but parents just can't take the stress so they decided to accept the loss themselves and gave me their own money (even though it wasn't their fault at all). Thats how bad it was for them and since they had just had to go to an appeal and have another 1 or 2 or maybe more coming up they just couldn't face it at all
  • supersonic
    all you need to do is write to ss with your intentions and proof the item was not fit for purpose, plus outlining the relevent part of soga. Send it recorded and keep a copy.
  • Got a pair of pedals from them,great service and the pedals are the muts nuts
  • cavegiant
    What product and what was wrong with it?
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • peter413
    supersonic wrote:
    all you need to do is write to ss with your intentions and proof the item was not fit for purpose, plus outlining the relevent part of soga. Send it recorded and keep a copy.

Thats what I had done in the first place, before I was asking on here about it I had emailed them asking what I should do but they just ignored it and the second email I sent they also ignored.

When parents emailed they were very clear with the intentions that if they were not fit for purpose that they wanted a refund and that they were going to follow it up but because of the behavior of (I'm sure it was Neil we were dealing with directly) them, they were unable to and had to accept the (in my mind not an upgrade) "upgrade" that meant they were strong enough, still not convinced they are, but also weighed a freaking tonne

TBH, I'm letting it go money wise since it's whats best for them, don't want them ending up in hospital yet again
  • peter413
    DH rims as apposed to the AM rims for AM riding (when they were claiming the AM rim was strong enough for DH racing, I know there are technicalities there but still...)
  • cavegiant
    Are you intentionally being exceptionally vague?

details make make people listen,
  • supersonic
    oh, I thought you were left with a trashed set of wheels.
  • peter413
    The freehub was still scored and the DH rims had markings from what looked like v brakes but I think they were just from the truing stand and the rims had a few nicks out of them, the front had one out of the edge of the rim.

I thought I had told you that :?
  • I've had a set of wheels from then and a pair of rotors. Both have been excellent. I'll definitely order from them again in the future.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Me and my mates have had plenty of stuff off them and the only thing I wasnt impressed with was a Bottom Bracket. It lasted fine in the dry summer but the 1st proper mud plugging ride I did it died didtn think much of the seals on the bearings. No problem to pop the bearings out and fit some £10 decent quality bearings off ebay. Run sweet as since they obviously use el cheapo bearings but the cups are fine and easier to get the bearings out than Shimano or Truvativ cups.

A mate had to return his rear wheel the Switch hub drive side bearing broke up after about 3 months of hard thrashing (he is a wheel killer) got a new wheel back within 2 days plus bags of Haribo.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • supersonic
    peter413 wrote:
    The freehub was still scored and the DH rims had markings from what looked like v brakes but I think they were just from the truing stand and the rims had a few nicks out of them, the front had one out of the edge of the rim.

I thought I had told you that :?
    I wouldnt be asking questions otherwise. So they definitely said they were not fit for the advertised use (and wasn't it light dh racing?)