Sigma Rox 9.0

2»

Comments

• FatLarry
    FatLarry Posts: 209
    The unit only displays Heart Rate and Cadence when it detects an input from the resepective sensors. If it doesn't you get 2 (or in my case when the cadence sensor got knocked out of range of the magnet) 3 icons.

I'm 100% sure about this - which trumps your 90%. So I win. :lol:
  • Kova
    Kova Posts: 12
    Well I'm 100% sure it was 4 all the time for me cause I asked question on sigma support how come that I don't see heart rate moving from 0 when I connect my belt, but now .. I see nothing ! BLANK ! My sigma Rox 9.0 is EOL, gone with the wind ...

I put out battery put it back, but sigma didn't start up, I had really hard training today, I hoped it will work just for today. ... but no luck.

I even tried with new battery. :(

I'm sending it back..

Thanks for all help, ...
  • Kova
    I got my new Sigma :) Pretty fast I must admit, no questions no problems, got new manual, new screw drive (for battery) and new sigma computer !

Packed very well.

I will test it today :) Thanks guys for all help.
  • Kova
    Larry :) Now when I got new one, I see 4 data on top:

0 0
    160 0

160 is alt !

So I was right :)

Btw I have question aldo I doubt you know answer.

As I have another Rox 9.0, all data from it is saved to this unit on computer, and I have all other data in old Rox 9.0 (part).

I would like to combine it, how ?

I don't know if you understand me. In Sigma Data Center under Units I see two Rox 9.0 one under another, and I can only save data to new one (bottom one) and all data that I want is in one before.

Thanks.
  • Kova
    I doubt that anybody needs it, but whata heck, if you need it use it, this is something from me to this board.

I can think of few reasons (backup, new unit (like my case) ...) why would you need this.

Rox 9.0 unit has its own serial number. It saves data under My Documents (Sigma Data Center - Units- serial number), you can copy memory, logs, data from there and use it for new unit if you have an, or you can copy it to your other computer, and use it from there from now on ..

I hope it helps.

This way I have all memory, logs and stuff under same sigma unit.

New unit rocks, works better, I can see that in logs, and graphic.
  • MrWingnut
    MrWingnut Posts: 1
    I love the computer and have been using it for about 3700 km. My biggest problem is that I can not get the unit to sync with my laptop through the USB connection. I plug everything in and open the Data Center application, click connect and nothing!

I payed the extra money for the ROX 9.0 so I love it if someone could help me get this think working. Also the support phone number has been NO help with this to this point. :-(

Has anyone run into this problem and found a solution? And the clock loosing time is a big pain also.
  • I bought a ROX 9 for an outstanding price of AUD$320 from johnnoknows on eBay and last month and never looked back. I've ridden about 1000km so far. Yes, it's a little tricky at first and sometimes having to unplug/plug the unit back into the holder on the bike is a bit annoying but what the heck for what you get.

My biggest complaint is the complete silence from the Sigma support web site. Have sent 3 emails with nada responses. And their taglines about 'we're here for you' makes me laugh! Pity really because there's a swag more detail that I'd like to know eg is the hardware upgradable via firmware? (I really hope so because it's an excellent hardware instrument just that the firmware would benefit from refinements eg a conversion option from kCal to kJoules for instance) or the formula for the calculations of max heart rate and the HR zones etc. The biggest drawback is the lack of cadence info to the log memory. The manual claims it's because of memory restrictions but I would gladly have traded off a 10sec or more sample rate (already user selectable) if necessary to be able to have cadence included. The PC Data Centre software is excellent in its ability to display a bunch of data but things like the zoom function is flaky and loses track of the WP markers or the inability to insert or relocate WP markers dynamically is a drag, let alone no 'Undo“ functions when I'm forever accidentally deleting bits of text/notes, for example. The Adobe AIR web framework is cute but I would probably have preferred a proprietary and less limiting GUI (although I admit I'm a Mac evanglist and get frustrated with the whole WIN/PC thing anyway but that's another story).

Apart from that, I'm training for Grand Slams here in Adelaie and have signed up for Amy's Ride and the 2010 TDU 4 challenge. Really getting huge benefits from being able to monitor HR and zones and find it a wonderful instrument. :!:
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    I've just started using mine. The clock keeps losing time big style. Since setting it yesterday evening it has lost 2hrs 20 minutes. I set it a couple of weeks ago and thought yesterday that's strange............. And the cadence function refuses to work. The magnet is magnetised and within the 12 mm distance from the sensor. Haven't tried the HRM yet as wanted to get some cardio gel. Is this worth it or just use water?

Gradually getting familiar with all it's basic functions but TBH the manual does not give sufficient explanation of the computer's functions or more impressive capabilities or any examples so I shall probably be none the wiser which pees me off no end. I've only had fairly basic Cateye computers up until recently - all have been a doddle to use, clear and have never failed. I have invariably lost them.

Anyway any help at this time with the Rox 9.0 clock not being able to keep time and the cadence function refusing to work would be much appreciated. Should I replace the batteries? There is no alert saying battery is low. To replace would it be a case of simply undoing the casings taking out the old battery and re-fitting?

I've got the wheel diameter no probs although haven't yet done a roll out test which I must do. I don't have any means of calibrating the speed function to see if it is accurate though. I am unsure of it given the clock loses so much time so quickly and the cadence refuses to work.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • FatLarry
    FatLarry Posts: 209
    Haven't tried the HRM yet as wanted to get some cardio gel. Is this worth it or just use water?

Save your money. Lick works perfectly.
    Gradually getting familiar with all it's basic functions but TBH the manual does not give sufficient explanation of the computer's functions or more impressive capabilities or any examples so I shall probably be none the wiser which pees me off no end

Manuals Shmanuals. If you start with the "Favourites A" menu and get used to that... then look at the list of display options in the manual and ask yourself whether there's anything you'd like to add from that list. Once you've decided, the manual explains how you can change your display options. I found that I didn't like the order data was displayed in, for example, so moved it around.

Cadence
    When you turn the pedals, does the light on the sensor flash when the pedal magnet passes? If not, then either the magnet isn't in range or you need to change the battery. If it does, try cycling along, remove the computer from the holder and put it back in again. Sounds daft, but mine wouldn't work until I did this when I first got it.

As for accuracy of the time... can't help you there...
  • dilemna
    Thanks FL. No the cadence sensor does not flash when the magnet passes it. The magnet appears fine as my keys clap onto it sharpish.

The clock losing several hours within 24hrs is not on.

It's peeing with rain outside now. I had thought if trying to set it up for the rear wheel so I can go on the trainer but read that Sigma say the main speed sensor can only function within 70cms of the head computer unit. That's a bit fecking stupid if you can't use it on your trainer :( .

I'll have a go at the HRM now and see if I can get that working. I have been delaying and delaying mainly because I have found the manual pretty poor looking so frigging complicated. I'll have to persevere as it cost an arm and leg and promises so much.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
  • dilemna
    MrWingnut wrote:
    I love the computer and have been using it for about 3700 km. My biggest problem is that I can not get the unit to sync with my laptop through the USB connection. I plug everything in and open the Data Center application, click connect and nothing!

I payed the extra money for the ROX 9.0 so I love it if someone could help me get this think working. Also the support phone number has been NO help with this to this point. :-(

Has anyone run into this problem and found a solution? And the clock loosing time is a big pain also.

Hi yeah I'm having problems to get the cycle computer and my PC to talk to each other. On clicking on software "Connect to Computer" it keeps coming up Status "Not connected, connect your bike computer with your PC via your USB cable using the docking station". Have clicked the bike computer in and out of the docking station numerous times and of course it's connected to the USB port! I have re-downloaded and installed the latest Sigma software updates and re-downloaded Adobe reader and Adobe Air and installed. The bike computer reads "Fast settings, Box connected" and the green light is showing. Still not working. I don't know what to do.

Last night I had a 30 minute sesh on the trainer as I managed to fit it and get it working using my bikes's rear wheel. It was surprisingly easy and it wasn't out of range as I thought it might be. I placed the speed sensor on the seat stay just below the brake caliper. Also got the cadence function working, how I don't know, as I didn't change the position of magnet or sensor.

But the clock is still losing big time last night 1hour after the sesh and 4hrs since resetting again. Yesterday evening by 7pm after 24 hrs it had lost 3hrs22"!

I have reset the unit to factory settings but this doesn't seem to make any difference.

Also not sure on the accuracy of the temp reading as it seems a little high. I will buy a cheapo thermometer for comparison. Also doubting how accurate the other readins are heart rate, speed and distance. As for altitude I haven't even begun thinking about that one!

So slowly getting there but not that impressed. I have never had so much difficulty getting going with an electronic device or accompanying software. All the Sony equipment and software I have has worked first time and no glitches!

But any help on how I can get my PC and bike comuter to successfully connect together would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
  • Wow, dilemna, you really seem to have got a lemon. I checked the time thing on mine and yes it does go out but only a couple of minutes every few days. I vaguely remember when I installed the Data Center software that there was a checkbox option to sync the software/hardware up to the PC clock. Maybe I'm dreaming... And for the life of me, I've looked but can't find any Preference settings in the sofware to sync it post-instal

Still, a bit poor design for such a basic function.

On the other hand, I haven't had any issues at all with using the USB dock. The ROX communicates flawlessly with the PC running Win XP SP3 and the latest versions of both the Data Center and Adobe software. You might be having USB dock driver issues or something?

I picked up another issue with the HRM. I've input my own HRmax and programmed my own HR zones. When riding in a bunch, I most often keep on eye on my HR zones to pace myself and allow for recovery periods. I mainly focus on the small bar graphs of % of HRmax but recently found that keeping an eye on the current HR value as a % reading under the visual bar graphs of each zone to be useful. Except that I realised that the % value seems to out significantly to what I expected and what I've programmed for my Target Heart Rates.

As I said in an earlier post, it would be nice to know what the actual formula is to calculate the Max HR and the fact that the USER settings requires gender, DOB and weight suggests that the ROX uses a formula containing these parameters but not the often used Resting Heart Rate.

I prefer to use the Robergs R and Landwehr R (2002) “formula deemed least objectionable” (see Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_Rate)

HRmax = 205.8 − (0.685 × age)

Putting HRmax aside for a moment, then the next step is to figure out Target HR zones. I do the calcs in an Excel spreadsheet for the various percentages of Intensity to derive my THR. It appears that the ROX calculates the values using the Zoladz method, which derives exercise zones by subtracting values from HRmax. I prefer the Karvonen method, which factors in Resting Heart Rate (HRrest) to calculate Target Heart Rate (THR):

THR = ((HRmax − HRrest) × %Intensity) + HRrest

so it figures that the % of HRmax readout below the visual bar graphs will be out of whack since the ROX is using a different premise to calculate THR from HRmax. Pity, it's not user programmable/selectable as an option.
  • hi dilemna, re the time thing

just found the synch between the ROX9 and the PC I mentioned earlier. It's in the Sigma PC Connector applic. I connect my ROX to the USB dock and fire up the applic. At the Main Menu>Program Bike Computer>Load settings from bike computer>Unit sub-menu contains date/time settings. The note under Date says “Date and time are automatically adopted from the PC”.

I did a quick check before I started the upload and my ROX was running a few minutes behind time. Once I uploaded the settings file the time was corrected as per my PC.

Oops, forgot to mention that the ROX/PC date/time synch happens on importing the bike computer settings. It doesn't update dynamically during the time you're editing the settings so that if you spend 10' editing and then upload the settings back to the ROX, the time will be set at the time of import. It means you then have to go back in to the ROX 9 and update the time setting manually. Not great! A good idea poorly implemented.

(NB: I just checked the PC Conncector software help/info file and noticed that the date/time settings were originally setup to have either manual or auto to PC input. I'm using the latest version 1.1b of the software and the manual input is not provided anymore. A backward step!)

It should be that once you sort out the ROX9/PC connection then you're time should be synchronised. However, you may still end up having a faulty unit if you can't make it connect
  • dilemna wrote:
    MrWingnut wrote:

Hi yeah I'm having problems to get the cycle computer and my PC to talk to each other. On clicking on software "Connect to Computer" it keeps coming up Status "Not connected, connect your bike computer with your PC via your USB cable using the docking station". Have clicked the bike computer in and out of the docking station numerous times and of course it's connected to the USB port! I have re-downloaded and installed the latest Sigma software updates and re-downloaded Adobe reader and Adobe Air and installed. The bike computer reads "Fast settings, Box connected" and the green light is showing. Still not working. I don't know what to do.

Cheers.

Same problem here... have you figured how to solve it?

I noticed that if you let the ROX 9.0 connected on the docking station for quite a while with the PC Connector dialog open, you get an error dialog that informs you of a "timeout" issue. Do you have the same behavior?

Thanks!
  • ^dan^
    ^dan^ Posts: 3
    Hi,

I just purchased a 2nd bike kit for the Rox 9 but the manual doesn't seem to include instructions about how to switch the computer between Bicycle 1 and 2. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks in advance.
  • The ROX 9 recognises the two diferent bikes based on the wheel diameter settings that you manually enter. It's under menus: Setting>Bicycle I+II>Wheel Size I or Wheel Size II. Once you've set the two different wheel sizes, when you first mount the bike computer in its bracket on the particular bike, the speed indicator on the LED screen flashes. As you spin the wheel with the sensor mounted to synchronise the unit it'll determine which bike it is automatically, based on wheel diameter.

if you're not sure about wheel diameters, do the 'roll-out test', see the Sheldon Brown site
  • ^dan^
    Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. I have set the wheel sizes for both bikes. The ROX 9 always defaults to Bicycle 1 no matter which bike I put the computer on.

How does the unit automatically recognise the right bike? Doesn't it just work out speed based on the frequency the magnet passes the sensor then uses a formula based on the wheel size?

Thanks again.
  • Hi dan

yes, that's how I understand it to work. I assume that your two bikes have different wheel diameters right. If they were to be the same (say I had two road bikes with tyres 700x23c) then it would have problems in which case I'd arbitraly +/- a few millimenters for each one to make them different enough to differentiate.

don't know why your unit isn't sensing the different bikes though. You might have to consider resetting the unit back to factory default. Save your current user settings as a file and do a reset. I've found my unit to be a bit pesky at times when it comes to synchronising and no amount of taking of the mounting bracket and waiting for the LED to flash and synch has resolved issues. I've had to pull out the batteries and/or do a factory reset.

apart from that and some pesky bugs in the software Sigma Data Centre v.1.1b it's been a great bike computer

good luck
  • ^dan^
    I still couldn't get it to work even after doing factory reset, etc. I ended up emailing Sigma and what you have to do is press the button on the back of the Bicycle 2 speed transmitter for 10 seconds. When the light on the transmitter changes from green to red it is set to Bicycle 2. Now that I have checked, it was in the instructions that came with the 2nd bike kit...RTFM :oops:
  • Tomaass
    Tomaass Posts: 16
    My last fall purchased Sigma Rox 9.0 unit yesterday started showing some unusual problems. Unit has stopped showing temperature (always 0.0), altitude (if i enter it i doesn't changes) and started don't start automatically when I start riding on my bike. All problems started same time. I did few factory settings resets but it didn't helped.

Maybe you've clue where is problem?
  • Hello guys

i have a question and i dont know how it work
    my question is you can ride the sigma rox 9.0 with 2 bikes i want to ride it on road and mOuntainbike but how can i switch form bike 1 to bike 2 because i dont want the miles from mtb on my roadbike!

plz help mee

thank you
  • I have a Sigma and I am sure it can switch between 2 bikes....check out a PDF of the user manual on Sigma's website.
    Summer - Dolan Tuono with Sram Force and Dura-Ace 7850 CL Carbon wheels
    Winter - old faithful Ribble winter bike
    SugarSync cloud storage referral link (better than DropBox atm imho) https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=mzo2tcrhm5gn