Under or Over take

2»

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I do inside, outside and the middle.

Depends on the road layout, the conditions and the amount of traffic, and the speed of it.
    It takes a while to judge when to do what, but me still being here to type this means I aint got squished yet..... I do hope to keep safe and alive...
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I tend to pass on the outside wherever possible but use the inside from time to time. My experience is just at the OP suggests.

Interestingly I never get trapped in the middle when traffic accelerates. If I'm looking ahead I can always see traffic a few vehicles ahead in the queue begin to accelerate in time for me to either slow or accelerate to pull alongside a gap and slide into it.

J
  • Until yesterday I did both depending on conditions. Yesterday, though, on the way to work, as I was going past a car on the left hand side, he decided to pull in to the left, presumably to give more space to a vehicle coming up the other carriageway. He trapped me between him and a wall, I went over the bars and gashed my head on the wall resulting in a trip to A&E and my head being glued and stitched - super ! This, after I had taken a lot longer getting in so as to be careful about the ice :(

What really wound me up, as I was stood there dazed, was that he was more concerned about how the pedal had scratched his car before his wife noticed the blood dripping from my forehead.

Anyway, back to the OP and I will be a lot more careful in future about going up the left side !
  • hmmm, robert-sb.. sounds like a call to injury lawyers 4 u is needed ;).