adding weight in winter (on purpose)

birdy247
birdy247 Posts: 454
Following a spring/summer/autumn of training my weight has dropped pretty low. 6' 1", around 145-150lbs. Its great on the hills and I do feel good. However, I was thinking should I be adding some winter weight?

- Guess it would make the hills harder (which cant be bad at this time of year)
- Keep me warmer
- Give my body some fuel if I get a winter bug

I am not concerned about loosing it again come spring. I can shift weight either way.

Comments

• rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    10 1/2 stone at 6'1"!
    Unless you're naturally thin or a high cat racer, I would have thought adding a bit more weight wouldn't be a bad thing?

Then again....if you don't suffer for it and it helps with the bike etc then stay as you are.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Whats you fat percentage?, if its as low as 8-10%, then you could do with adding a bit.
  • Hudster
    Hudster Posts: 142
    When I was mega thin I would feel the cold too much during winter. However, I'd be constantly hungry, which is my body's way of saying I need more weight. I find it sorts itself out pretty well if you don't stress about it. Personally, I would see how you get on before you start eating the lard sandwiches.
  • birdy247
    birdy247 Posts: 454
    danowat wrote:
    Whats you fat percentage?, if its as low as 8-10%, then you could do with adding a bit.

Prob around 8%
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I'm on 6% body fat. Aside from cold toes, I don't suffer much from the cold on the bike. Wandering around town at lunchtime is a different matter......

Still, changing weight isn't an option for me - it doesn't happen. I eat a lot but then I'm on the bike over 20 hours a week; the extra fuel just goes in to turning the pedals.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    There are links between very low (sub 8%) body fat percentages and deficiencies in the immune system, so you are right on the lower limit.

If you feel you need to add a bit, then it won't do you any harm.