Winter Clothing - I cannot seem to get it right!

2»

Comments

• paulus69
    paulus69 Posts: 160
    I cycled to work this morning in dark and dingy wales, I wore shorts, a helly hansom long sleeved base layer and a poloshirt on top, I find I am cold for the first 2 or so miles but then warm up.

Although I always end up needing a shower by the time i get to work but would assume thats fairly normal.
    pst88 wrote:
    fatherted wrote:

For instance, it was 2degs this morning in the south london suburbs and a long sleeved base layer and long sleeved jersey should be sufficient at that temperature.

Seconded. In this weather is just wear a long sleeve base layer with long sleeve jersey and it's fine.
    Me on Strava
    My cycling blog
    Specialized Secteur 2012 / Carrera Vulcan v-spec
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Venting is fine before you've broken out a sweat, but used too late and what happens is that the humid air inside your garment is mixed with cooler air and hits dew point, causing sudden condensation on surfaces & fibres inside your garment - not pleasant.

Yeah, that's why I said you need to vent when you begin to get warm but before you get damp. Also, well designed jackets can vent without being too flappy.
    (Btw, I'm not a great fan of Merino for cycling - it doesn't cope with copious amounts of sweat and it loves tickling open sweat pores!)

Interesting. I know what you mean but it depends on your definition of "cope". For me, the non-stink qualities of merino count for a lot when commuting. It means I am not unpleasant on the train on the return home! When you are working hard and sweating a lot, merino does feel damper to the touch than synthetic base layers but this does not mean it is not coping. Most synthetics use a capilliary type fibres which retain sweat inside the fibres - keeps the fabric surface feeling dryer but provides a home for bacteria to get to work. Merino seems to accumulate the damp at the surface but it also dries off the surface when you stop generating as much moisture. Merino can feel less warm as a result (when damp) but I think ultimately it disperses sweat to the atmosphere better.
  • I use Aldi soft shell with Merino wool long/s top when it is cold and also wet. If it is really cold then I wear another cycling top on top of Merino wool. In fact everything I wear in the winter is from Aldi, leggins, gloves. I would give there Merino tops a miss though as they are not 100% merino wool. I would go for the real thing - ebay 27.99
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I always used to overdress before leaving, I have learnt to do without a jacket till it gets below 5 degrees, till then just having a baselayer and a long sleeve jersey, then a jacket and just the jersey long if its very cold if not just a short one.

The crane lidl baselayer vert I have found is great value I do have a long sleeve altura one which is very comfortable and doesnt make me over heat.
  • tomb353
    tomb353 Posts: 196
    I use two long sleeve tops if dry, or a vest with softshell jacket if wet (approaching freezing). You are wearing too much stuff.
    vendor of bicycle baskets & other stuff www.tynebicycle.co.uk
    www.tynebicycle.co.uk/blog
    Kinesis Tripster
    Gazelle NY Cab
    Surly Steamroller
    Cannondale F100
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Run your wrists under a cold tap? I've never heard that one before. Going to have to try this on Monday.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • the m and s tights are in the ladies section.
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    been v comfortable since september in assos bib shorts and my showers pass softshell , adjusting vents as necessary. still in shorts just added an hh base. soon to put padless tights over the shorts .now using sealskin socks and will add overshoes as necessary. experimenting with 3mm scuba gloves (like so far)
  • I am also trying to figure out what I should be wearing for the winter commutes.

Currently have a longsleeve helly hanson base layer with a short sleeve jersey over the top with standard shorts.

I'm going to invest in some leg warmers, overshoes and windstopper gloves...but I don't know what to wear on my torso. I'm thinking either a jacket or a thermal jersey, or both?!
  • I am also trying to figure out what I should be wearing for the winter commutes.

Currently have a longsleeve helly hanson base layer with a short sleeve jersey over the top with standard shorts.

I'm going to invest in some leg warmers, overshoes and windstopper gloves...but I don't know what to wear on my torso. I'm thinking either a jacket or a thermal jersey, or both?!

Soft shells keep out the wind, which is the main thing that will make you cold. Arm warmers may be enough to avoid buying a new jersey (although a winter jersey is good to have) and winter tights over shorts work well (better IMO than leg warmers, which leave certain parts rather exposed).

Buying less gear of better quality rather than loads of stuff that doesn't work that well is what I try to do.
  • Currently have a longsleeve helly hanson base layer with a short sleeve jersey over the top with standard shorts.?!
    Sounds about right for current temperatures
    but I don't know what to wear on my torso. I'm thinking either a jacket or a thermal jersey, or both?!
    Long sleeved jersey.
    Gilet when it drops below 5deg if you're cold at that temp.
    It also depends on wind chill that's why it's essential to carry a rolled up windstopper if you've made a wrong call and especially if the temps have dropped for the homeward journey and if it's raining.
  • First post on here. Been reading (and cycling to bus/train for work) for a few months, but thought I'd start to contribute.

Winter clothing is what I can't seem to get right......

Currently going with Aldi Base Layer, Standard polyester sports tshirt, long sleeve clycle jersey BUT this is where I think I go wrong...ALTURA High Vis jacket. I like the idea that it is bright and keeps me seen but after 2 miles in I start sweating. I think I have the under layers sorted and they are moisture wicking. It's the outer I can't seem to get right.

What soft shells would people go for? Saw Mountain Warehouse had some OK looking ones.
  • I went for this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-windslam-so ... cket-2011/

It was great yesterday with just a single ls base layer. And I commute 10 miles into W1.

Jake.
  • I went for this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-windslam-so ... cket-2011/

It was great yesterday with just a single ls base layer. And I commute 10 miles into W1.

Jake.
  • Standfree wrote:
    Currently going with Aldi Base Layer,
    Good
    Standard polyester sports tshirt,
    Why ?
    long sleeve clycle jersey
    Good
    BUT this is where I think I go wrong...ALTURA High Vis jacket. .
    Buy a gilet
  • Or a soft shell over the base layer.
  • I tend to get hot, and have had many experiences of soaking wet gloves from sweat trickling down inside my jacket sleeves.

Last winter I made a discovery, which I will share.

Don't wear a jacket.

On the coldest days - down to 1 degree - I wear a long sleeve base layer, and two jerseys, one of which is a heavier/Roubaix style.

To begin with you will feel cold, but it is SO much better than soaking in your own sweat.

However, I am stuck if it rains. Light rain, and the above three layers are fine. Heavy rain calls for my Ron Hill hooded rain jacket, which then traps the heat & sweat, and I arrive soaked from the inside.

So not perfect, but I am now comfy when out on all day Audax rides if it's dry.

Lycra Man
    FCN7 - 1 for SPDs = FCN6
  • I must admit I took the plunge and splashed out on the Rapha softshell. Works great, with either just a base layer or with a jersey as well (depending how cold it is).

Not the cheapest option since it works out at almost 10 days' train fare, but IMO well worth it.
  • Andrew this comment made me laugh as it is so true "Not the cheapest option since it works out at almost 10 days' train fare, but IMO well worth it."

I gave up trying to pretend a long time ago that riding to work saves me any money !!

I think the equation ends up something like this :-

Expensive Bike (Justified using you method above) + constant stream of bike stuff ordered off the internet + bike maintenance /upgrades + "essential winter clothing" & "essential summer clothing" / cost of season ticket = - £££'s