Building up to 100km

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
Hi,

I've recently moved to the Netherlands from Hong Kong. In HK I was riding at least 2 or 3 times a week, distances from 25 to 60km. Since coming to Europe I've had a 3 month lay off and now the winter's here a combination of poor weather and work mean I'm riding only once a week for about 40 - 50km.

However, I'd like to do the 100km Amstel Gold sportif event in April next year. Bearing this in mind, what would you suggest in terms of a "training schedule" over the next 4 months or so? Any advice appreciated!

Thanks,
Steve
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• all i could suggest mate is just riding over the winter getting a good amount of miles in and then you'll have the conditioning to do that ride. 60 miles is a Milestone but completely achievable for anyone if you really want to :)

perhaps buy a Turbo Trainer and if the weather is rubbish jump on that and cycle for a few hours while watching TV :)
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    edited November 2010
    As steady rider suggests - ride as much as you can out of doors and get a turbo for some harder shorter sessions/intervals. I would guess thatt the infamous 2 x 20 intervals will be of help together with some long rides similar in intensity to the sportif would be a good idea (use search to find out more!)
    Poor weather can in part be counteracted by good clothing (and lights)
    Good luck!
    [Edit : 2 x 20 intervals]
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Hi Guys,

Thank you for the replies; I suppose I'll just have to get out there as often as possible.

On a related note, I normally eat a banana before a ride and then eat more when I get home. I take a packet of crackers with me in case I get hungry. Obviously I'll need a bit more than this if doing 100km. Would I be OK with a couple of gels or do I need something more substantial?

Thanks for the advice,
    Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    pottssteve wrote:
    Hi Guys,

Thank you for the replies; I suppose I'll just have to get out there as often as possible.

On a related note, I normally eat a banana before a ride and then eat more when I get home. I take a packet of crackers with me in case I get hungry. Obviously I'll need a bit more than this if doing 100km. Would I be OK with a couple of gels or do I need something more substantial?

Thanks for the advice,
    Steve

Eat a good breakfast before you go. Recommend porridge as it digests slowly. Then all you should need for the ride is your banana, a couple of bottles of fluid and maybe a gel or two.

Most people would do a 60 mile ride on just water/energy drink if they have a good breakfast. It's not a particularly long ride.

If it's a sportive you are doing - they should have a food stop anyway so you can fill up on whatever you need there.
  • Riding several days in a row you wil probably want to eat real food too - sarnies, cake biscuits, not too much fat but plenty of carbs and don't forget sufficient protien. Gels adn bars and energy drinks are all okay on longer rides but you will get tired of them after 8 days....