UCI ready to open disciplinary against Contador

2»

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,130
    I can feel the doping warriors frothing over their keyboards.

"It is the normal procedure, indeed one we hoped for, that the Spanish Federation would decide on the case," he stated, according to various media reports.

“Contador will be able to present all the documentation and demonstrate that it was a case of contaminated food.”

RFEC

“Personally, I hope this case will turn in favour of the rider, for numerous reasons,” he said on Spanish public radio, according to VeloChrono.fr. “I know him since he was young, I spent many years in Madrid, where he comes from, and I can not help but be in empathy with Contador.”

“Anything can happen,” he said. “Including the closure of the file, if it turns out that there is no reason to punish the rider. It [the outcome] can therefore range from an amnesty, pure and simple, to a two year suspension.”

President of RFEC

"This doesn't do it for me. My name will be perhaps in the record books, but I have not experienced the joy. I want to win the Tour on the road. For me, Contador will always remain the winner of the 2010 Tour."
    Andy Schleck.

As far as I am aware, 90% of people who actually are involved in the sport are behind Contador. The % amoung forumites is more like 10%

He's failed a test and should receive a two year ban, regardless of who he is. Just because his friends in the sport think otherwise doesn't change anything.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I can feel the doping warriors frothing over their keyboards.

"It is the normal procedure, indeed one we hoped for, that the Spanish Federation would decide on the case," he stated, according to various media reports.

“Contador will be able to present all the documentation and demonstrate that it was a case of contaminated food.”

RFEC

“Personally, I hope this case will turn in favour of the rider, for numerous reasons,” he said on Spanish public radio, according to VeloChrono.fr. “I know him since he was young, I spent many years in Madrid, where he comes from, and I can not help but be in empathy with Contador.”

“Anything can happen,” he said. “Including the closure of the file, if it turns out that there is no reason to punish the rider. It [the outcome] can therefore range from an amnesty, pure and simple, to a two year suspension.”

President of RFEC

"This doesn't do it for me. My name will be perhaps in the record books, but I have not experienced the joy. I want to win the Tour on the road. For me, Contador will always remain the winner of the 2010 Tour."
    Andy Schleck.

As far as I am aware, 90% of people who actually are involved in the sport are behind Contador. The % amoung forumites is more like 10%

FF, Sounds like you're having a little trouble with the idea that you may have backed the wrong horse. You should have picked LA as your hero. At least he never failed a test. :twisted: :twisted:
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    This is the concern, that the favouritism shown by the Spanish authorities towards True Cheat Valverde is again on display to Contador, despite two positive tests.

Given the A and B samples, he will be stripped of his win, it's more about whether he gets a two year ban or if this is shortened.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364

Maybe 90% of pro cyclists are just thankful their samples didn't get tested in Cologne?
  • Kléber
    As far as I am aware, 90% of people who make money from cycling are behind Contador. The % among actual fans is more like 10%
    Fixed that for you :wink:
  • shinyhelmut
    Kléber wrote:
    As far as I am aware, 90% of people who make money from cycling are behind Contador. The % among actual fans is more like 10%
    Fixed that for you :wink:
    :lol:
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Blimey, FF's been in denial longer than Moses.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • I like him.
    He amuses me.
    Can I upgrade???
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I was the same when Lindsay Lohan was sent to jail.

Such an injustice.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    the Spanish look after their own. They were motorpacing Pedro Delgado into yellow and refusing time checks to Millar, as well as teams combined from Spainto hand Delgado a Vuelta win he had no right to. It was Robert Millar who won the race...but prob was he wasn't Spanish. Contador will be found clean...puerto forgotten too
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Nice to see the President of the Norwegian Federation speaking up and telling it like it is:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/norwegi ... -on-dopers
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    iainf72 wrote:
    I was the same when Lindsay Lohan was sent to jail.

Such an injustice.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    I'm going to chuckle every time I think of that today.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,165
    Dave_1 wrote:
    the Spanish look after their own.

Do they look after their beef farmers?

Are the Spanish Cycling Federation will to say that Spanish cattle are contaminated with illegal drugs? (which they probably aren't).

That could make for a fun court case.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Al Jazeera FTW

I wonder if they'll try the comfy chair?

Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • shinyhelmut
    I bet he wasn't expecting that :lol:
  • tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    iainf72 wrote:
    Al Jazeera FTW

I wonder if they'll try the comfy chair?

"The rider, one of five to have won the three big Tours (France, Italy and Spain) and whose B-sample analysis confirmed the result of the first test, has threatened to quit the sport if he is banned."

For some reason I find that pretty amusing. 'Either let me stay and I'll stay, or kick me out and I'll go'. If he cops a 2 year ban he'll be largely forgotten by the time he returns, there'll be plenty of other people bringing excitement to the racing.
  • shinyhelmut
    tomb8555 wrote:
    If he cops a 2 year ban he'll be largely forgotten by the time he returns, there'll be plenty of other people bringing excitement to the racing.

What, like Basso, Vino, Millar, Ricco, Rasmussen etc. have been largely forgotten?
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833

What, like Basso, Vino, Millar, Ricco, Rasmussen etc. have been largely forgotten?

Who?
  • shinyhelmut
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Iain, just how many tabs do you have open at one time?
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Isn't this a conflict of interest?

"Vidarte confirmed that Contador has hired Spanish law firm Bardají & Honrado and Swiss lawyer Rocco Taminelli, who defended Franco Pellizotti when he was accused of doping after being snared by the UCI’s Biological Passport programme. Surprisingly, Taminelli is also key member of the UCI’s Arbitration Board."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contado ... uci-report
  • Bakunin wrote:
    Isn't this a conflict of interest?

"Vidarte confirmed that Contador has hired Spanish law firm Bardají & Honrado and Swiss lawyer Rocco Taminelli, who defended Franco Pellizotti when he was accused of doping after being snared by the UCI’s Biological Passport programme. Surprisingly, Taminelli is also key member of the UCI’s Arbitration Board."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contado ... uci-report

I would say the UCI's and Contador's interests are pretty much the same :wink:
  • Kléber
    Well the rules are very clear this time, you can spend lots on lawyers but the positive samples means you are stripped of the past result and banned. Unless someone can come up with a legal breakthrough, the best the lawyers can do is present your case in a way that helps to get a shortened ban.

It does look a bit odd when a lawyer who sits on a UCI board is able to represent a rider in case brought by the UCI but if anything it could work against Contador, the guy has shown loyalty to the UCI in the past.