UCI ready to open disciplinary against Contador

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited November 2010 in Pro race
According to the ever reliable 39teeth. (aka theinnerring)

Does this mean they've got the report back from WADA?
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• iainf72
    They've asked the Spanish fed to start proceedings.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/11/ ... 49040?news
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    This strike me as a, "We can't prove definitively yet that he did it, but there's enough evidence to indicate a high probability that he did, so we're sending it to our kangaroo court."

Uh, wait, I meant court. Not Kangaroo court. Now how did that get in there?
  • Two years then?
  • iainf72
    Really? It's pretty cut and dried, isn't it? There was clen in his urine. Bert is disputing how it got there but there is no disputing it's there.
  • iainf72
    Pokerface wrote:
    So what does this mean? Can the Spanish Federation decline to prosecute, etc? And if so, then what?

This just means it's a standard doping violation and this is what would happen in every doping case.

The Spanish could decide there is no case to answer in which case the UCI would need to go to CAS.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    iainf72 wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    So what does this mean? Can the Spanish Federation decline to prosecute, etc? And if so, then what?

This just means it's a standard doping violation and this is what would happen in every doping case.

The Spanish could decide there is no case to answer in which case the UCI would need to go to CAS.

(I read the article and got all the answers - thanks)
  • I think satan will need a scarf and cardy long before the spaniards punish contador.
  • iainf72
    The Spanish have 35 days to reach a conclusion. So say William Fotheringham.
  • "The UCI has today sent its request to the Spanish Federation that has competence in this regard. It is now the responsibility of this Federation to determine whether Alberto Contador has breached the UCI Anti-Doping Rules."

Yup.
    Sure sounds as if he's doomed. :roll:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Spanish doping judge: Did you knowingly ingest clenbuterol?
    AC: No.
    Spanish doping judge: Are you lying?
    AC: No.
    Spanish doping judge: 3 month ban, backdated to October. Case dismissed.
    AC: Gracias.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    "The UCI has today sent its request to the Spanish Federation that has competence in this regard. It is now the responsibility of this Federation to determine whether Alberto Contador has breached the UCI Anti-Doping Rules."

Yup.
    Sure sounds as if he's doomed. :roll:

+1
  • Pokerface
    I would expect the UCI to appeal to CAS if the Spanish Fed don't do their job.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,130
    Just as they did with Valverde.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Pokerface wrote:
    I would expect the UCI to appeal to CAS if the Spanish Fed don't do their job.

The problem is the Spanish Federation do their job as they see it, to promote and protect Spanish cyclists from those nasty interfering busy bodies that think a little bit of this and that is a bad thing.
  • "The UCI has today sent its request to the Spanish Federation that has competence in this regard. It is now the responsibility of this Federation to determine whether Alberto Contador has breached the UCI Anti-Doping Rules."

If these are the rules that I assume the UCI have written into their own regulations, then its clearly a case of them not wanting to be seen to ban the rider. They will do the slope'y shoulder and hope that the Spanish Federation will do their job for them.
    Obviously the Spanish Federation would be hung, drawn and quartered if they killed their golden goose.
    Absolutely bonkers.
    Can I upgrade???
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    meggiedude wrote:
    "The UCI has today sent its request to the Spanish Federation that has competence in this regard. It is now the responsibility of this Federation to determine whether Alberto Contador has breached the UCI Anti-Doping Rules."

If these are the rules that I assume the UCI have written into their own regulations, then its clearly a case of them not wanting to be seen to ban the rider. They will do the slope'y shoulder and hope that the Spanish Federation will do their job for them.
    Obviously the Spanish Federation would be hung, drawn and quartered if they killed their golden goose.
    Absolutely bonkers.

Sorry you have this wrong.

The case has to be passed to the local cycling authority to take action on.

If the UCI and WADA feel the Spanish Cycling Fed. haven't given due punishment they will appeal to CAS as they did with Valverde.

I think the UCI are testing the Spanish after the goings on this year.

He'll get 2 years I think.
  • Gazzaputt wrote:

According to who's regulations?
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    I think the UCI are testing the Spanish after the goings on this year.

He'll get 2 years I think.
    Lets hope you are right
    Can I upgrade???
  • Pokerface
    meggiedude wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:

The UCI's
  • Pokerface wrote:
    meggiedude wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:

The UCI's
    It was a rhetorical question. Its their stupid regulations.
    Who in their right mind would setup a regulation where you are asking a partisan/biased Federation to provide an impartial judgement on a rider/national-hero from their country.
    In this case the leader of that organisation has know Bertie since he was a lad.
    Can I upgrade???
  • iainf72
    meggiedude wrote:
    Who in their right mind would setup a regulation where you are asking a partisan/biased Federation to provide an impartial judgement on a rider/national-hero from their country.
    In this case the leader of that organisation has know Bertie since he was a lad.

Pretty much all sports?

USADA sanction athletes in the US. UK Sport in the UK etc etc.

It's not ideal, but you're getting outraged by something completely normal.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    meggiedude wrote:

Pretty much all sports?

USADA sanction athletes in the US. UK Sport in the UK etc etc.

It's not ideal, but you're getting outraged by something completely normal.

Outraged is a little strong for what I feel.
    I take your point about other sports and it had crossed my mind.

However two wrongs don't make a right here - I don't think any International sports body should be asking a national federation to police/punish/whatever one of its sportsmen/women during an internationally governed sport event.

So, no its not ideal, and that rule should be changed.
    Can I upgrade???
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Perhaps it should be changed but until then it's standard procedure.

Since he's flunked the A and B samples, everything points to a 2 year ban.
  • iainf72
    meggiedude wrote:

However two wrongs don't make a right here - I don't think any International sports body should be asking a national federation to police/punish/whatever one of its sportsmen/women during an internationally governed sport event.

This is the problem - It's the way sports are set up in general. If you take cycling as an example, the athlete holds their licence with the national federation, so that fed needs to take their licence from them. The fed is governed by the UCI, but the lower tier manager (ie, riders) is federated.

All sports need to change and anti-doping needs to be run centrally. But I expect you'd get huge resistance from athletics, football, gold, tennis and drugby.

But if Spain muck around with this one, WADA could make a stink and get Spain suspended from all sporting events.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Kléber wrote:
    Perhaps it should be changed but until then it's standard procedure.

Since he's flunked the A and B samples, everything points to a 2 year ban.

Given the tiny amount (and more important, who he is), I think he gets a year and loses the jersey.

The Spanish federation has been feeling gravity's pull and everyone will be watching -- the time when this could be swept under the rug has passed. Bertie's getting banned.
  • meggiedude
    meggiedude Posts: 257
    edited November 2010
    iainf72 wrote:
    meggiedude wrote:

This is the problem - It's the way sports are set up in general. If you take cycling as an example, the athlete holds their licence with the national federation, so that fed needs to take their licence from them. The fed is governed by the UCI, but the lower tier manager (ie, riders) is federated.

All sports need to change and anti-doping needs to be run centrally. But I expect you'd get huge resistance from athletics, football, gold, tennis and drugby.

But if Spain muck around with this one, WADA could make a stink and get Spain suspended from all sporting events.
    I think we're all in agreement on this one. The rules and regs won't change now, if ever, and Spain will be under the spotlight on this one. Whether they decide to act appropriately, or not, we will have to wait and see.
    I can't see the UCI putting up much of a fight if the Spanish Federation decide not to follow the rules, but as you say WADA are a different matter.
    Can I upgrade???
  • I can feel the doping warriors frothing over their keyboards.

"It is the normal procedure, indeed one we hoped for, that the Spanish Federation would decide on the case," he stated, according to various media reports.

“Contador will be able to present all the documentation and demonstrate that it was a case of contaminated food.”

RFEC

“Personally, I hope this case will turn in favour of the rider, for numerous reasons,” he said on Spanish public radio, according to VeloChrono.fr. “I know him since he was young, I spent many years in Madrid, where he comes from, and I can not help but be in empathy with Contador.”

“Anything can happen,” he said. “Including the closure of the file, if it turns out that there is no reason to punish the rider. It [the outcome] can therefore range from an amnesty, pure and simple, to a two year suspension.”

President of RFEC

"This doesn't do it for me. My name will be perhaps in the record books, but I have not experienced the joy. I want to win the Tour on the road. For me, Contador will always remain the winner of the 2010 Tour."
    Andy Schleck.

As far as I am aware, 90% of people who actually are involved in the sport are behind Contador. The % amoung forumites is more like 10%
    Contador is the Greatest
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    iainf72 wrote:
    meggiedude wrote:

I've posted about this before and completely agree. All the time the national federations look after this we will always have situations where they let sports stars off to protect their own interests.
  • I can feel the doping warriors frothing over their keyboards.

"It is the normal procedure, indeed one we hoped for, that the Spanish Federation would decide on the case," he stated, according to various media reports.

“Contador will be able to present all the documentation and demonstrate that it was a case of contaminated food.”

RFEC

“Personally, I hope this case will turn in favour of the rider, for numerous reasons,” he said on Spanish public radio, according to VeloChrono.fr. “I know him since he was young, I spent many years in Madrid, where he comes from, and I can not help but be in empathy with Contador.”

“Anything can happen,” he said. “Including the closure of the file, if it turns out that there is no reason to punish the rider. It [the outcome] can therefore range from an amnesty, pure and simple, to a two year suspension.”

President of RFEC

"This doesn't do it for me. My name will be perhaps in the record books, but I have not experienced the joy. I want to win the Tour on the road. For me, Contador will always remain the winner of the 2010 Tour."
    Andy Schleck.

As far as I am aware, 90% of people who actually are involved in the sport are behind Contador. The % amoung forumites is more like 10%

lol.
    Ah, Its nice of you to join us FF, we all missed you. :D
    Can I upgrade???
  • iainf72

90% of the people involved in the sport are also behind Armstrong.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,821
    Contador's been cooked.

The question is whether he comes out the oven rare, as the Spanish would like, or well done, as the Germans and Brits would want.

His name is ruined anyway, so it makes no difference to the Spaniards if he gets off or not.

I doubt the ASO would invite him back anyway.