New and confused

thethedev
thethedev Posts: 7
edited November 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi there

Hoping to start mountain biking soon. I used to cycle alot on the road and gentle tracks when I was about 16 and used to ride a unicycle to. Also used to go offroading in a jeep, so I might also be you're sworn enemy! :shock:

I dont have a clue about different brands etc but the local bike shop seems to have some good deals. Nearly bought a lovely one for £130 second hand but it was gone by time I decided it was worth it. It had front suspension thats all I know :oops:

Anyway the guy there said he should have another yoke from the 90's up for sale soon, I saw it as it is at the moment and it looks like apile of shite at the moment, no saddle and two flat tyres but he's gonna fix it up and add a few new parts and put it up for sale. The frame weighs next to nothing though and looks OK to me. Only thing is it has no suspension at all and one of the guys at college who is big into is biking reckons I'm gonna need front suspension at the very least? I trust him. But this thing is probably only gonna be about 60 quid and surely people where going mental on bicycles long before suspension was standard?
Anyway thats an awful long post so I'll leave it there :oops:
Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends what you want to do. Bit like driving a Model T Ford. It may get you to the shops, but there are better ways.
    What is the pile of shite?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Honestly dont have a clue forget to look at the make :oops:
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Budget would help?

130-160 quid should get you a used specialized hardrock, Marin bobcat or halfords Carrara less than 3 years old.
    300-400 should get you a used rockhopper or boardman
  • I'll probably max the budget at £150.
    This thing which will be available in the middle of the week is only £60?

Maybe I'm better of buying that and seeing how it goes before I spend a decent amount?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends what the 'thing' is.
    At £60 I wouldn't expect much, especially if it's from a bike shop and they've spent time and money doing it up.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You'll get a used Carrera Vulcan off ebay for about £130-150, decent ally frame, hydraulically damped forks, disc brakes and 24 speed.......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    A £60 bike would be lucky to survive one ride on a decent mtb trail, it would be fine for getting to the station and back.

But look at ebay for bikes that are pick-up only and near you these are often the best bargains.

150 should get you a used entry level proper MTB which is a pretty reasonable bike.
  • Well I've just been offered a 2006 GT avalanche for 180. Its breaking the bank but its a decent bike in pretty good condition with a few extras :D
  • That's more like it. Have fun!