Rear brake - outer cable reduction (stops)

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited November 2010 in The workshop
I have disc brakes on my bike and the rear cable uses a full length outer, I'd like to go to naked cable on the straight runs as I'm in a weight weenie mood (just shed 122g with a revised crankset and new rear disc) and I reckon its worth 40g at least.

The frame is a Carrera with the funny 'double hook' cable brackets, how can I hold a cable stop in them anyone? Don't want all new bits as a stop as it defeats the weight weenie bit and will look cluttered!

Simon
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• The Rookie
    As this is now a long way down the forum I thgought I'd bump it for any that may have missed it to see if anyone has any ideas, don't really want to resort to turning some from bar as it woule be a real PITA!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    OK possible alternative....
    Use the top of downtube cable stop for the front mech (running 1x9 so currently unused) run naked cable to the BB (using the current BB cable guide run for the front mech) and thence to an old fashioned bolt on cable stop on the chainstay and outer cable from there to the rear disc calliper.

Will a 'wrap round' cable stop take brake loads, how do they compare to gear shift loads?

The other alternative is a bolt on cable stop designed to fit on the downtube with downtube shifters bolted into a new hole in the BB shell.

Thoughts?

Simon