What to do in lunch hour?

timmyflash
timmyflash Posts: 526
Yesterday discovered that i can fit in a quick cycle at lunch time, although only really 40 mins on the bike when you include changing / faffing / showering.

What's the best way to use this time? Have a Garmin 705. Should i be working on this heart zone stuff? Never really done that before. Try and get faster and faster on a specified loop?

Just bought my first fixed gear, so used that yesterday and brought it in today. To be honest am not sure it has too much benefit for training, but it is fun and can incorporate that as well.

Suggestions appreciated - can't bring myself to get out by the time i get home at the moment so this will have to do till i buck my ideas up!
Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh

Comments

• ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Goals? Aims? - if its just fitness best bangs for your buck is running , otherwise medium length intervalls - 3-5 minutes with similar length active rest on one day, one long intervall on another day (25-30 mins sustained effort) , and short intervalls with equal rest - 30 secs for exampel for 30 mins. All with about 10 mins warming up, a couple of mins winding down and another couple stretching in the shower. And a nice long ride on the weekend...

... or don't shower - just wipe down & change - works for some - a wash solution like Sportsbalm wash lotion on a face cloth works wonders....
  • Cheers - really never tried any of this interval stuff. Primarily because it's a killer! Did a bit of fartleck training before London marathon a few years ago and hated it. Guess that means it works. Will try to plan it a bit.

Run as well at lunch, but have realised that i can get the bike out with similar levels of faff, so giving it a go.

Just back from ride on the fixed. Got lost on my ten mile route, so it turned into 15. What a bloody nice day to get out the office.
    Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh
  • re-cycles
    re-cycles Posts: 107
    Drink coffee & eat lunch! The thought of messing about at lunch time doesn't appeal at all... Sit back, relax and enjoy a book, then pedal like a demented fool on your way home, and if thats not enough, go the long route home!
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    where do you work? if in a city might be hard to find a nice stretch of road to practice on near to your work place. I am about 2 miles from regents parks but it takes so long to get there in the traffic its not worth trying. So I do as re-cycles says, also a bit of internet surfing.
  • Hibbs
    Hibbs Posts: 291
    When I'm in season training I usually have a quick bite to eat then grab 30mins sleep, refreshes you no-end for the post-work training.

As for training during lunch, can't see how it's worth it. Besides, spending the rest of the afternoon as a horrible sticky, sweaty, rancid mess can't be much fun.
  • Rest up - read a book, or go for a swim - thats about the only thing you can fit in!
  • jackp
    jackp Posts: 48
    I know what it can be like-when you can never bring yourself to get out after work
    Maybe try and get out mornings when the roads are not as busy and then you know its done for the day but you can go out evening aswell if your up for it obviously

Maybe it could be an idea to do something like start work 30 mins early and end 30 mins late and have 2 hours lunch for good block of riding?

Hope this helps

:D