the flat that isn't punctured....?!??

PBo
PBo Posts: 2,493
edited October 2010 in The workshop
Repaired a puncture.

Slowly went flat again.

Checked it - couldn't find a thing.

Reinstalled tube. went flat.

Replaced tube - checked old one - still no puncture to be found! Blew it up, and left it overnight - no noticeable deflation.

WTF? Any ideas? (i've pushed the valve in and out a few times in case there was some sort of blockage....)

ta

Comments

• plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Could be valve when under pressure.

You do not say when leaving tube overnight wether or not it was back on wheel, but assuming it wasn't then there would be very little pressure in tube to vent air through valve, when in tyre and therefore restrained higher pressure = deflation. (Boyles law ?)

No other logical explanation.
  • tywin1
    tywin1 Posts: 7
    Could be the valve needs tightening if its schrader?
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    tywin1 wrote:
    Could be the valve needs tightening if its schrader?
    ...or a Presta with a removable top (Schwalbe, IIRC). If it has flats at the end, try using them to tighten it. I suppose there could be grit in the valve, I remember reading that you should tap a Presta ("pshht!") to blow any debris out of the way before pumping to top up the pressure.
    Otherwise- "pinhole" puncture that's leaking slowly when under pressure. You could try removing the patch and redoing it but in your shoes, I think I'd probably decide that the failed repair was enough to write off the tube. Not worth the hassle of fixing it again.

Cheers,
    W.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I had a patched tyre that then went down, tested and leak was at patch, when fiddling with it it mysteriously sealed itself and hasn't leaked since! I've also had valves leak slightly due to muck (I assume) as after reinflating (presumably blowing the muck into the tube) it was fine.

I also had a tube that didn't leak when inflated out of the tyre, I ended up having to 'balloon' it to get it to leak through the tiny pinprick hole enough to find.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    the old-fashioned approach of removing the tube, inflating it and sticking it in a bucket/bath (delete as allowed) of water is fairly definitive in showing where any air leaks are coming from.
    Misguided Idealist