Freehub getting louder

alomac
alomac Posts: 189
edited October 2010 in The workshop
I've noticed over the last week or so that my freehub has been getting louder. It probably only has 1500 miles or on it, so I thought maybe it was 'bedding in', but I've just had the cassette replaced and now the volume has gone up again.
I'm not bothered, but is it something I should check out? The freehub is a Shimano Altus, so it's a low-end model with little or no sealing. I was thinking I might open it up a give it a regrease as a precaution, particularly as I've used spray degreaser on the cassette...

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you've used degreaser, as you say it may have cleaned out the freehub, sounds like it's worth a strip and some grease....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    dont try stripping the body, just remove and try and get some grease in if you want.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • alomac
    alomac Posts: 189
    Thanks for that. I plan on following Park Tool's instructions, which pretty much follow you advice.
    I'm not sure what lube to use though. Park says not to use grease, but rather a 'medium weight oil', although they list their Polylube 1000 as a "required material" even though I thought that was a grease. Googling around brings up recommendations for everything from motor oil to skate bearing oil, outboard motor gearbox oil to Pedro's SynLube. I'd prefer something cheap and readily available since the freehub itself is not exactly an expensive part.

EDIT: Park says grease is not required. Others claim it can jam the pawls. I'm also concerned about whether something that thick will get to where its needed, given the limited access I'll have to the freehub's interior.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    You could do an old engine-style trick and mix up some moly grease into some warm, new engine oil, and run that in there.

The grease will flow around quite nicely with the oil until it cools, and then will hang around in the important bits. Used to work very well in older-style engines.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}