Turbo Attire

Mr Dog
Mr Dog Posts: 643
About to start rehab after 6 weeks recovery. Took the plunge and got a turbo.. but what do I wear? Best bibs or can I get away with no pad?
Thanks MD 8)
Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?

Comments

• Mr Dog
    Thanks RW. Might get a cheaper pair and save my best for the summer. Don't relish filling my xenons with buckets of sweat.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    edited October 2010
    Normal shorts and a chest strap for my HRM, that's it you get bloody hot. Wife walked in the other day and said I looked like something out of the Electric Six Gay Bar video!

For those unfamiliar......
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTN6Du3M ... re=related
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Best get a bloody big fan as well :wink: I wear normally cycling kit on the turbo, as for getting them sweaty, this happens on the road as well, you might not feel it as much but it happens.
  • Mr Dog
    I thought with no road buzz I could get away with normal shorts. The price of bibs is eyewatering.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Mr Dog wrote:
    I thought with no road buzz I could get away with normal shorts. The price of bibs is eyewatering.

I certainly feel the saddle more on the turbo, on the road you are in and out of the saddle alot of the time, but on the turbo, you tend to spend most of the time sat in the saddle.
  • Butterd2
    Mr Dog wrote:
    You can get a decent pair of dhb shorts from Wiggle for £30
    SBezza wrote:
    I certainly feel the saddle more on the turbo, on the road you are in and out of the saddle alot of the time, but on the turbo, you tend to spend most of the time sat in the saddle.
    Agreed.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • ... old pair of baggy shorts work a treat.
    JM
  • chill123
    chill123 Posts: 210
    you'll want a pad...

+1

a pair of cheap padded shorts and a heart rate monitor strap is all you'll need.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Butterd2 wrote:
    Normal shorts and a chest strap for my HRM, that's it you get bloody hot. Wife walked in the other day and said I looked like something out of the Electric Six Gay Bar video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2kD1YUtA5o

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    SBezza wrote:
    Mr Dog wrote:

+1. Comfortable shorts are a must on the turbo since there is so little moving about compared to the road.

I've got various bibs I bought on special offers - they are in colours I wouldn't wear on the road, but nobody else sees me on the turbo :wink:
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • I always wear road gear on the turbo, or maybe just a helly t shirt that I would wear under a lycra jersey outdoors anyway, but always padded shorts.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    craft pro cool sleeveless mesh top
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,782
    Mr Dog wrote:

Riding on a turbo without a pad will make them water more!
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2kD1YUtA5o

Excellent!!
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Hi there.

Have you not got an old pair of shorts with a rip up the side from the last time you crashed?

I thought that's what everyone wore on the turbo...

Cheers, Andy
  • bilirubin
    bilirubin Posts: 225
    Mr Dog wrote:

Take a look at the DHB range on Wiggle, the last time I looked you got change out of £40.00 for a pair of bib shorts, I would not call that eyewatering!

I have a short and a long legged pair and the padding is spot on.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Apart from shoes anything non - cycling / lycra doesn't seem to have any detrimental effect, over an hours riding.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Speedos and a car sponge!
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    No cleated flippers? :wink: