Rear Hub Bearings

Dog Breath
Dog Breath Posts: 314
edited October 2010 in The workshop
I have a 2008 Specialized Allez Sport and the freehub is very stiff. If the bike has been left for a week and I try to back-pedal the cranks by hand, the freehub will often not move until the chain tension gets such that it does eventually move.

I guess that the bearings need replaceing (freehub and wheel bearing), but how do I find out which bearing units I need to buy?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

DB
Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
Planet X London Road Disc
Planet X RT80 Elite

Comments

• crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Your bearings may just need a cleaning and fresh lube. While you have your freehub off do the wheel bearings as well (if they're not the sealed cartridge types of course). You Tube and Google are your friends for how-to instructions and videos.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    depending on the hub. the body may not be serviceable.

but how to can be found in the links in my sig.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tywin1
    tywin1 Posts: 7
    If you're lucky, the bearing cup in the freehub body can be removed with a specific tool, letting you get to the two rows of 1/8" bearings to clean and regrease them. If that's not the case and it's the style that attaches to the hub with a 10mm allen key, you can buy a new one and bolt it straight on.