Planet-X : Good Customer Service

pmannion9
pmannion9 Posts: 280
edited October 2010 in Road buying advice
Some good customer service from Planet-X.
Had a problem with rear Model-B wheel.
Contacted them with photos etc. and wheel replaced promptly.

Good service. Take note other online retailers !!!

Comments

• Waynenio
    Waynenio Posts: 231
    edited October 2010
    You wouldnt be sayng that if you knew what a mate/club member of mine went through recently.

Enjoy and eat your words :D start at the bottom of the thread (3 pages long) BTW

http://www.yorkshirevelo.org/component/ ... tstart,20/

Glad they dealt with you well though!!!

See below:

Riding to work this morning steady away one minute, picking myself up off the road the next. I was riding on the cycle path next to the ring road north of York where there's a few ruts and bits of broken surface but nothing major and having ridden up and down this for the last 3.5 yrs i know it quite well! So i quickly picked up my bike full of adrenaline but knew something wasn't right, i was in extreme pain but as work was only a few hundred metres away i limped there, asked my manager for a first aid kit after seeing half the skin on my right cheek missing then passed out! My shoulder was in agony and i was convinced i had broke my collarbone. An ambulance was called and it took about 30 mins for me to properly wake up. I had some x-rays and no break could be seen, just ligament damage and lots of grazing. It really hurts, i can barely get dressed! But check out the bike-

www.flickr.com/photos/95684292@N00/4837775559/

This frame is steel and only a few months, it looks like a hit a brick wall but i hit nothing! Maybe something jammed my wheel or went up inside the mudguard? But there's no damage to the wheel-it's still true and the forks have no sign of damage. I am truly baffled, does anyone have any theories???

Result:

Today I received a reply from planet x. To say I'm disappointed with their response would be an understatement. I have effectively been called a liar, I'm not going to let this go! A replacement frame is of no interest to me, it's the principal of it all. See what guys think...

Hi Nick,
    I have examined your photos and sought corroboration from my colleagues, and we have never seen this sort of damage from "simply riding along".

The way in which the steel tubing has crumpled together with the damage to the top tube is consistent with a serious head-on impact.

We can offer a crash replacement discount of %50 on the purchase of a new frame.

Kind Regards,
    James

Scott Scale Comp 29er - Training Machine
    Giant XTC 29er - Race Machine
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Can't even get into your page waynenio, any chance you can copy and paste to here mate?
  • +1 for decent PX service.

Had a prob with a partial delivery - no quibble they sent out replacement kit next day.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • pmannion9 wrote:
    Some good customer service from Planet-X.
    Had a problem with rear Model-B wheel.
    Contacted them with photos etc. and wheel replaced promptly.

Good service. Take note other online retailers !!!

Wouldn't have been a badly cracked rear rim by any chance?
    Mine just exploded last night ripping two spokes and nipples clean out of the rim!! On closer inspection there are micro cracks around several other spokes on the drive side!! :(:(
    Must email to see what they say considering I only bought them in May.
  • I thought they were excellent when I bought my Stealth TT bike off them last autumn so another +1 from me.
  • Ive had one bad experience... But many great ones, Ive bought 3 bikes and 3 sets of wheels and lots more.

Bought some dura ace wheels 2 months ago, I was supposed to get them the following wed but ended up waiting 8 weeks.. They where friendly and offered a refund but i'd already waited 4 weeks and missed the races i bought the wheels for which wasnt good.... I would have likes some free stuff as recumpence, then i would have given them an all good rating...

Still in my experience they are damn good.
  • I've found Planet-X very helpful
    "I thought of it while riding my bicycle."
  • Wouldn't have been a badly cracked rear rim by any chance?
    Mine just exploded last night ripping two spokes and nipples clean out of the rim!! On closer inspection there are micro cracks around several other spokes on the drive side!!
    Must email to see what they say considering I only bought them in May.

Ribble Rider,

Exact same problem i had - lucky i wasnt on bike at the time ...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've had good service from them in the past. I do have some of those wheels though - so I'll be checking them when I clean teh bike each week !
  • I've had a couple of sets of their model B's for winter bikes and never had a problem before - in fact, for the money I think they are brilliant. :D:D
    However, I've read a few comments on other posts where it appears some of their latest batches are a bit suss!
    Must admit, their service so far, for me, has been very good and that includes delivering to N.Ireland.
  • One more plus vote. I bought a Ti Pro road about 18 months ago. Great bike but to be honest I wasn't totally in love with the matt finish. After about 6 months I dropped them a note and just asked if they'd change it for one of the industrial polish ones - amazed when they offered to collect it, rebuild it with a brand new frame and courier it back for very little money. Actually I went to their old warehouse and dropped the bike off having had a look at the frames to be sure I wanted the new finish. They couldn't have been more helpful.
    "The only absolute statement is that everything is relative" - anon
  • Waynenio
    Waynenio Posts: 231
    @ Giant mancp : See revised PX Sh*T service second post on thread bud

Scott Scale Comp 29er - Training Machine
    Giant XTC 29er - Race Machine
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Well I've just had a very POSITIVE experience with PX. Following a mix-up with a bike to work scheme order (partly my employers fault), my bike order was cancelled. I found out yesterday when I got back from my hols. Today someone from PX has called me several times to sort things out and in about an hour I'm off to collect my bike. I'd say an afternoon to build a bike is pretty good service.
    More problems but still living....
  • PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    Waynenio wrote:
    You wouldnt be sayng that if you knew what a mate/club member of mine went through recently.

Enjoy and eat your words :D start at the bottom of the thread (3 pages long) BTW

http://www.yorkshirevelo.org/component/ ... tstart,20/

Glad they dealt with you well though!!!

See below:

Riding to work this morning steady away one minute, picking myself up off the road the next. I was riding on the cycle path next to the ring road north of York where there's a few ruts and bits of broken surface but nothing major and having ridden up and down this for the last 3.5 yrs i know it quite well! So i quickly picked up my bike full of adrenaline but knew something wasn't right, i was in extreme pain but as work was only a few hundred metres away i limped there, asked my manager for a first aid kit after seeing half the skin on my right cheek missing then passed out! My shoulder was in agony and i was convinced i had broke my collarbone. An ambulance was called and it took about 30 mins for me to properly wake up. I had some x-rays and no break could be seen, just ligament damage and lots of grazing. It really hurts, i can barely get dressed! But check out the bike-

This frame is steel and only a few months, it looks like a hit a brick wall but i hit nothing! Maybe something jammed my wheel or went up inside the mudguard? But there's no damage to the wheel-it's still true and the forks have no sign of damage. I am truly baffled, does anyone have any theories???

Result:

Today I received a reply from planet x. To say I'm disappointed with their response would be an understatement. I have effectively been called a liar, I'm not going to let this go! A replacement frame is of no interest to me, it's the principal of it all. See what guys think...

Hi Nick,
    I have examined your photos and sought corroboration from my colleagues, and we have never seen this sort of damage from "simply riding along".

The way in which the steel tubing has crumpled together with the damage to the top tube is consistent with a serious head-on impact.

We can offer a crash replacement discount of %50 on the purchase of a new frame.

Kind Regards,
    James

I’m inclined to agree with PX, it’s hard to think of a way that structural failure without hitting an object would have bent the tubes like yours have (i.e. upwards), if one or other of your tubes has ‘failed’ during normal riding on a normal surface then the tube(s) would have bent the other way, I think the offer of 50% off is good.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Sorry Waynenio, but I too think this was due to a head-on impact (a head on impact would not necessarily "taco" the wheel, as it would be in it's strongest plane).

I came off my bike and broke my pelvis, it took me several months to conclude that the bike hadn't failed (I was convinced it had, but it didn't stand up to logic), going over and over (on foot) that same bit of path trying to recollect or fathom out what happened. In a severe impact it is quite likely you will lose all memory of the immediate events.
  • G-Wiz
    G-Wiz Posts: 261
    I rode up the arse end of a car once talking to a mate and not looking where I was going. The result was very similar, and I didn't want to admit it either.

Planet X were very good when I bought from them last year. Very patient while I sorted out a DIY ride-to-work scheme and delivered the bike in time for a sportive that weekend.

I'm 100kg and been riding model B's all year on shitty Surrey roads. Needed a bit of a tweak with a spoke key recently, but nothing you wouldn't expect. I've heard a few tales of the spoke nipples cracking, but nothing more serious than that.
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    Waynenio wrote:

But check out the bike-

He hit something head on. Half price on an already well priced frame is a very good offer considering that the damage is the result of a shunt.
  • G-Wiz
    G-Wiz Posts: 261
    Maybe something jammed my wheel or went up inside the mudguard?
    If that was the case the top tube would have been stretched rather than compressed.
  • cakewalk
    cakewalk Posts: 220
    ynyswen24 wrote:
    Waynenio wrote:

But check out the bike-

He hit something head on. Half price on an already well priced frame is a very good offer considering that the damage is the result of a shunt.

Must have hit something. If the frame simply failed it would not have bent that way.
    "I thought of it while riding my bicycle."
  • +1 for excellent customer service from Planet-X (USA). They have been very responsive and helpful in the purchase process. I would highly recommend these folks.