Ribble or LBS?

Dennis1971
Dennis1971 Posts: 37
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
With a bit of luck I will become a permanet member of staff where I work at the moment with the use of cyclescheme. I am willing to spend around £1200 and I have been looking around.

It seems for that money Ribble can build a nice carbon biike with Sram Rival which is very tempting on the other hand I am willing to give my LBS a bit of business. But for the same money we are talking CAAD8 with 105 (£1000) or Giant TCR 1 (£1150), both alu bikes.

What are you experience with Riblble? Good / Bad. I am tempted at the moment and also thinking of a bike with SRAM. Currently I am on an old Concorde with a mix or mirage/avanti build in the nineties so I will be in for a shock. Will make to sportivo's a bit easier. :D

Dennis

Comments

• I'm looking at getting a ribble frame, but I've heard an awful lot about their terrible customer service, so for the time being I'm steering clear.
  • sundog
    sundog Posts: 243
    I'd have 105 over SRAM rival
    I like white bikes
  • I wouldn't spend £1200 on a bike without having a test ride.

If your LBS will give you a test ride and you like the bike then i'd say go with that.

If you are desparate for something carbon how about a Focus Cayo 105 from Wiggle?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Focus_Cayo_105_2010_Ltd_Edition/5360045298/

They have a 30 day returns policy so if it didn't fit or you didn't like the ride at least you could get your money back.
  • twotyred wrote:
    I wouldn't spend £1200 on a bike without having a test ride.

If your LBS will give you a test ride and you like the bike then i'd say go with that.
    Yep - same opinion.

IMHO you would be crazy buying a bike from a shop like Ribble unless you at least seen a selection in the flesh and tried them out.

No two bikes of the same quoted size from diff manufacturers 'fit' the same, and unless you are buying an off-the-shelf Pinarello from Ribble that you can try beforehand in a LBS, then you will have no chance to try their bikes unless you drive over to them.

Don't forget btw that they charge an extra 65quid if you buy through Cyclescheme.
    Can I upgrade???
  • twotyred wrote:
    I wouldn't spend £1200 on a bike without having a test ride.

If you are desparate for something carbon how about a Focus Cayo 105 from Wiggle?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Focus_Cayo_105_2010_Ltd_Edition/5360045298/

They have a 30 day returns policy so if it didn't fit or you didn't like the ride at least you could get your money back.

Despite my adversion towards carbon bikes, I have to admit that the Focus Cayo is a very good bike...
    Focus bikes in general are pretty damn good value, even the Mares Cross bike is a hit... I've seen them flying past me on the cobbles at Paris-Roubaix last June
    left the forum March 2023
  • EX DH
    EX DH Posts: 194
    Have a look at my sig. All that for under 1200 quid.
  • EX DH wrote:
    Have a look at my sig. All that for under 1200 quid.
    Quite, but you'd want to try it for size first. Otherwise its a huge gamble with a bag full of cash.
    Can I upgrade???
  • Got my frame, fork, groupset and most of my other bits off them for my first road bike build and I thought that the bike and their customer service was excellent.

Coming from mtbing I had a number of questions both prior to purchase and when building, all of which were answered professionally and in a friendly manner.

The bike I've ended up with (Carbon Sportive with Sram Rival) is way beyond what my local bike shop could offer for the money.

Yes, it could be seen as a gamble but I measured myself up on one of the online sites and compared the different Ribble frames geometry available and hey presto I reckon I've got a pretty good fit.

Finish and quality of frame and fork is excellent.

I personally would go for it!
  • If it's value for money you're after, check out this new Planet X Carbon with SRAM Red....

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBP ... n-sram-red
    Bald is Beautiful
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    If it's value for money you're after, check out this new Planet X Carbon with SRAM Red....

...shifters and front and rear mech.

Rest of kit is el cheapo stuff.
  • Thanks for all the info. Still on the fence about what to buy. Still got some time so not in a rush. Anyone in the area of Maidenhead with a Planet X / Ribble. Would like to see one for real. The sizing will also need some thinking. I am a 6'2" dutch bloke currently on a 61cm old style horizontal frame.

Some more browsing to do, do like the Planet-X with Sram Red. (I know it's not the full group which would be impossible for that price).

Ta
    Dennis
  • Thanks for all the info. Still on the fence about what to buy. Still got some time so not in a rush. Anyone in the area of Maidenhead with a Planet X / Ribble. Would like to see one for real. The sizing will also need some thinking. I am a 6'2" dutch bloke currently on a 61cm old style horizontal frame.

Some more browsing to do, do like the Planet-X with Sram Red. (I know it's not the full group which would be impossible for that price).

Ta
    Dennis
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    But for the same money we are talking CAAD8 with 105 (£1000)

That's a great frame with a good groupset, buy one and you'll not regret it. Cannondale frames are finished to a much higher standard than most of their competitors.

If you have cash left over use it to buy lighter wheels, no bike at this price will have anything exceptional.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hi Dennis,

I'm in a similar position to you, the company I work for is introducing the C2W and I'm also considering Ribble, Planet-X or a LBS.

Only thing to mention though is the C2W scheme officially only goes up to £1000, so the some of the bikes you mention are over budget.

If you know of a way round this, or flexible 'agreements' with sellers please let me know, I'd be very interested.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I think one advantage of going to an LBS is the chance to negotiate a good price on extras such as a track pump, clothing, tools, lights, etc.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • RichardSwt wrote:
    Hi Dennis,

I'm in a similar position to you, the company I work for is introducing the C2W and I'm also considering Ribble, Planet-X or a LBS.

Only thing to mention though is the C2W scheme officially only goes up to £1000, so the some of the bikes you mention are over budget.

If you know of a way round this, or flexible 'agreements' with sellers please let me know, I'd be very interested.

I talked to my LBS and they are allowing to go a little over the £1000 cyclescheme. Paying cash for the difference. Only on RRP priced bikes. Your LBS will only get 90% of the value of the bike from cyclescheme. So I know the £1150 giant is an option, although I am leaning towards a CAAD8 at the moment.

Dennis
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Dennis1971 wrote:
    RichardSwt wrote:
    Hi Dennis,

I talked to my LBS and they are allowing to go a little over the £1000 cyclescheme. Paying cash for the difference. Only on RRP priced bikes. Your LBS will only get 90% of the value of the bike from cyclescheme. So I know the £1150 giant is an option, although I am leaning towards a CAAD8 at the moment.

Dennis

I like the look of the CAAD8, anothr option form my LBS would be one of these -

http://www.wilierbikes.co.uk/2011/details.php?ModNo=11TRMIR

I admit the only reason I gravitate towards Willier is brand spobery, but I really like the look of it.

Can anyone tell me how the Mirage groupset compares to 105?