Heaven 17 'Penthouse & Pavement' 30th anniversary tour

Not Another Hill
Not Another Hill Posts: 382
edited September 2010 in The bottom bracket
I saw them perform this at Magna in February. Absolutely fantastic. The album live sounds really fresh and relevant after all this time. Glenn's voice is so much more powerful with a bigger range than on the records.

They also perform some of the early singles, 'I'm your money' and 'Are everything' plus some BEF stuff.

Based on the success of the Magna gigs and some festival performances over the summer, they've announced some more dates for Britain this winter.

http://www.heaven17.com/tour.html

If you want to relive those early 80s electro joys this is the gig to see.

Comments

• I guess there'll be a lot of bald heads in that audience, but not mine. FFS they were 30 years ago jeez, great then but now... there's so much fcking great music being made today.

Mind you I'd go and see the Monochrome Set if they were to play...
  • The monochrome set did reform for a cherry red do. B.I.D spells bid.

The wedding present are also on a anniversary Bizarro tour.

And if the young marble giants ever got back together....aahhhh bliss.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    AndyRubio wrote:
    I guess there'll be a lot of bald heads in that audience, but not mine. FFS they were 30 years ago jeez, great then but now... there's so much fcking great music being made today.

I saw The Skids earlier this year.
    Yes, there were plenty bald heads in the audience but the performance and atmosphere was outstanding.
    Made me re-think the "they are past it" attitude.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    Now if the Woodentops were to play a gig, I'd be up for that.

• And if the young marble giants ever got back together....aahhhh bliss.

pretty sure they did for that camden crawl thingy this year - presumably they'd had to mooch across to london anyway to bitchslap the XX into paying them some royalties, then decided to show folk how it was done the first time 'round. no other gigs that i heard of - as obviously they've no market outside of the big smoke.. :roll:
  • The truly distressing thing about these 80s bands reforming is that they still sound quite contemporary. So much current 'indie' ish stuff sounds very little different than the stuff of 20 or 30 years ago. Shouldn't the sound of the 80s be as equally remote to kids today as Doo Wop was to us who are now in our 40s? For all the sight of balding 40 something men in reformed bands makes me cringe, I cringe more when I hear Razorlight.
    The problem isn't that they don't write 'em like they used to do, its that they do.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • AndyRubio wrote:
    I guess there'll be a lot of bald heads in that audience, but not mine. FFS they were 30 years ago jeez, great then but now... there's so much fcking great music being made today.

I agree that there are bands out here now making good music but for me most of it has no emotional resonance, not like the stuff that got you going in your teens through to your twenties. When I buy the stuff from the latest 'must hear' band, I just hear the influences from the stuff I used to listen too so it holds no excitement or newness like 'discovering' a favourite band when you were younger. I find I only really enjoy genres of music I was never into or was not about when I was younger such as a bit of trance or prodigy. However nowadays most guitar driven stuff leaves me cold whereas in the past it'd be my thing.

Heaven 17 rarely performed live back in the 80's so seeing them live now is almost like first time anyway :)
  • Just saw this post, celebrating 30 years, 30 bloody years, my day is now well and trully ruined and its official I am a Mamil, thanks very much...................................................................
  • turboslave wrote:
    Just saw this post, celebrating 30 years, 30 bloody years, my day is now well and trully ruined and its official I am a Mamil, thanks very much...................................................................
    We all are, get over it.

(BID does indeed spell Bid. There was a tour on the cards for 2010 but Bid had a brain hemmorage I think so it's delayed.)
  • Fastlad
    Fastlad Posts: 908
    Mamil? middle aged man......??
  • Fastlad wrote:

Middle Aged Men In Lycra (from a recent broadsheet article about blokes taking up road cycling)
  • Fastlad
    Fastlad Posts: 908
    Fastlad wrote:

Middle Aged Men In Lycra (from a recent broadsheet article about blokes taking up road cycling)

Ah, i see. Yeah, i'd heard about the increase in older guys taking up the sport. Good on 'em. I past a couple of portly older gentlemen today, as it happens. Mind you, they were probably thinking the same of me!! :wink:
  • I saw the Heaven 17 documentary a few months back, which prompted me to listen to P&P for the first time.
    I wasn't that impressed - I much prefer Dare by THL.
    Specialized Sequoia Expert Gravel Bike
    Ribble CGR SL di2 12spd Gravel Bike
    Planet X Spitfire Titanium Road Bike
    Dawes Super Galaxy Tandem
    Boardman Hybrid Team
    Raleigh Equipe Fixie
    Kona Dew Drop