Sudden weight gain on rest days

furrag
furrag Posts: 481
edited September 2010 in Training, fitness and health
Has anyone else fallen foul to sudden weight gain on rest days?

I've always been about 10.5 stone, though recently cropped up to 10.7 stone over the past few weeks and it remained consistent through last week. Imagine my shock when I stood on the scales last night and saw I was 11.2 stone - half a stone increase in 4 days! The heaviest I've ever known myself to be. :shock:

I weigh myself at the same time each day, and take into consideration my fluid intake. My calorie intake was reduced during the rest from Wednesday until today, and I tend to eat well. Prior to that though, I undertook the hardest 3 cycles I've done yet within the space of 4 days last week; both the longest in distance, duration and also climbing.

I've done some quick reading and it seems full glycogen stores to a guy of my size are worth about 0.3 stone. I guess it could be water retention and possibly an increase in muscle mass, but being built like a string bean, I have no previous experience of how quickly muscle mass is gained.

So has anyone else experienced sudden weight gain during rest periods?

Comments

• Faulty scales ?

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    My weight fluctuates about 5 pounds a day at various points. Rest days it also can go up - water retention is certainly a factor - as is losing fluids while training.

Weigh yourself again in a day or two. Maybe you've actually gained weight.
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    After a hard ride your weight will fall as your legs are empty of glycogen and water, a rest day gives you a chance to refuel and reload.

I use wifi scales and weigh daily. my weight will go up by as much as 1.5kg after a couple of rest days.
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • Interesting. I find that during training, I hold more water. 1-2 days off and i'm lighter/leaner.
  • I fnd that my weight goes down if I have a few day's rest. Probably because I reduce the mass of food I take on.

When I'm training I eat a lot, and make sure I'm hydrated all day, but if I'm resting I don't worry so much, and my calorie intake drops right down.
    Summer - Colnago C40
    Race - Wilier Alpe D'Huez
    Winter/Commuter - Specialized Tricross