Coaching

Hi everyone,

As another season of winter training approaches I was wondering what the general opinion on coaching is?

I've ridden a few sportives this year and managed times I'm pretty happy with, Dragon ride in about 7 hours, Northern Cyclone in about 6 hours and the York 100 in about 5 1/2 hours. I've trained reasonable amount of training, averaging 250-300 miles a month, but very little of this was particularly focused and most was done by extending the commute from an 8 mile round trip to about a 25 miles. I've ambitions to race, but my time is very constrained until March - April next year for work reasons then I should have much more time.

So is it worth putting my hand in my pocket now in an effort to maximise what I'm able to achieve in my available time for winter training, which will probably be up to about 12 hours per week. If so, what sort of help will a good coach provide and how much should this cost?

Comments

• LJAR
    LJAR Posts: 128
    100 miles in 5.5 hours is a pretty good time!

AFAIK most coaches would be happy to give you a 12 week winter training program for a one-off fee. If you tell them how long you have to train and your goals etc that might be a good way of testing the water?

Alternatively get a power meter (if you don't have one) and buy some books and have a go yourself at building a training plan.

Explore the options and see what they are likely to cost you - then make the decision. Good luck!

12 hours a week sounds like a lot of time to me, you could get in a really good winter's training, then up the volume in the spring/summer to have a cracking sportive season from late June onwards.