thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Have fun :D
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    my mate rides for infinity cycles, think they're in durham. they seem a pretty big squad so i'd guess its a decent sized shop
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • dmch2
    dmch2 Posts: 731
    Bike is getting built by Evans today so I'll collect it Saturday morning :) After looking at new bathroom suites with the wife...

Any advice for what I need to do differently from a hybrid? I'm planning on practising somewhere soft with the SPD-SLs before going for a ride somewhere comparatively flat where the roads aren't too busy to just get used to it.
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
    2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    dmch2 wrote:
    Any advice for what I need to do differently from a hybrid?

GO FAST :D
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • My 2ps worth - don't get planet x model b's, the hubs are like Swiss cheese.
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • dmch2
    I've got it! Only done a few miles round the estate so far though.

The riding position is fine but roadie gears feel very weird. More weird than the SPD-SLs although i can see a sudden stop causing me an issue one day...

Hopefully the wife will let me out for a proper ride soon!

The main issue was that after fitting bottle holders, mini lights, computer etc I had to 'fix' things Evans forgot.
    - 3 brake blocks were not even finger tight
    - Seat post not greased
    - They'd forgotten to fit my pedals
    - Tyres not quite hard enough 80psi, my mini pump is hard work to get them up to 100 - i need a stirrup pump!
  • dmch2
    I had a quick 'proper' ride on it this morning :)

It didn't feel as different as I imagined and once I realised there was a fair headwind I realised how much faster I was going. I went for less than an hour (which my newbie arse is now thanking me for!) with a slightly dragging rear brake, rubbish indexing, incompetent clipping in and complete confusion over sideways roadie gears but still went quicker than my best on the hybrid for the same route!

I guess it's time to move over to Road Beginners now! Thanks all :)

trek-320.jpg