Swapping Cranks

doyler78
doyler78 Posts: 1,951
edited September 2010 in The workshop
I'm swapping the cranks on both my bikes over.

The first is an FSA Mega Exo Gossamer Chainset with a FSA external bottom bracket

The second is a Shimano 105 Chainset and hollowtech II bottom bracket.

I think the two bottom brackets are compatible so will hopefully not have to worry about swapping those.

Is this possible and are there any speical tools for just swapping the chainsets over?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you will need allen keys and shimano preload bolt tool and what ever id needed for the FSA set up.

Be aware that FSA do things a bit differently to shimano. IE they have 5 or more external BB set ups for thier cranks. while shimano basically have one.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • doyler78
    nicklouse wrote:
    you will need allen keys and shimano preload bolt tool and what ever id needed for the FSA set up.

Be aware that FSA do things a bit differently to shimano. IE they have 5 or more external BB set ups for thier cranks. while shimano basically have one.

Thanks nicklouse. So not quite as simple as I thought. Just checked and the FSA bottom bracket has mega exo and BC1.37x24T stamped on it. It's a goldish colour. Quick google says BB-6000 bottom bracket.

Both are compact chainsets with a standard compact BCD of 110mm.

I can't see any compatibility chart for it and the shimano but then again in a bit of a rush to get out on the bike to work so will look later.
  • Hi,
    You don't say why you are swapping cranksets. If it's to change the chainring sizes, or even out usage or something, consider swapping the rings and not the cranks.
    Cheers,
    W.
  • doyler78
    Hi,
    You don't say why you are swapping cranksets. If it's to change the chainring sizes, or even out usage or something, consider swapping the rings and not the cranks.
    Cheers,
    W.

Bascially 2 drop bar road bikes.

One P-X Ti Sportive which does all the winter commute plus any other rides I fancy taking it out on. This has a full dura-ace groupset except the cranks as compact dura-ace wasn't available when I bought so hence the FSA crankset.

The other is my Scott CR1 Team carbon bike which generally only comes out in good weather. It is a full 105 goupset.

I want to move all the DA off the sportive as it gets the most abuse and hence doesn't make sense to put my expensive gear on a bike that will take that abuse plus being the heavier frame to start with it makes sense to move all to me lighter framed bike.

Now I suppose I don't really need to move the cranks at all as there is no real advantage other than I know the sportive will not now have a full 105 groupset (ignoring the glaring BB issue but can't see it really).

I'm in no hurry over the cranks as I can do all the other stuff and then move the cranks when I get the tools I need to move it.