lapierre froggy 318

2»

Comments

• clioterus wrote:
    chapers13 wrote:
    Thinking about getting Froggy 318.. but its sooo close to SX trail money im not sure which to choose. Any honest bad points about the bike eg lack of pro pedal on the rear shock or any of the finishing kit not up to scratch?

Tom
    My coiler dee lux had pro pedal on it and i was a bit concerned about it missing on the Froggy but have yet to find it a problem.As of yet i can't fault the bike.The finishing spec is all decent,although not high end kit,but this is not a concern for me as it all wears out eventually and will be replaced with better spec! There are way too many specialized's out on the trail's! i'd suggest riding them both to get a clearer picture.

I use my SX trail as a trail bike, never seen another yet ;)
    Yorkshire Man living in Somerset
    http://twitter.com/Mattharperbikin
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    What are the Domain 302's like on the Froggy? It's the only thing putting me off atm based on the odd comment I've read :(
  • clint29
    clint29 Posts: 224
    MattHarper wrote:
    clioterus wrote:
    chapers13 wrote:
    Thinking about getting Froggy 318.. but its sooo close to SX trail money im not sure which to choose. Any honest bad points about the bike eg lack of pro pedal on the rear shock or any of the finishing kit not up to scratch?

Tom
    My coiler dee lux had pro pedal on it and i was a bit concerned about it missing on the Froggy but have yet to find it a problem.As of yet i can't fault the bike.The finishing spec is all decent,although not high end kit,but this is not a concern for me as it all wears out eventually and will be replaced with better spec! There are way too many specialized's out on the trail's! i'd suggest riding them both to get a clearer picture.

I've seen 3 sx's on my travels. I'm not knocking Specialized i used to have a rockhopper and it was brilliant,all i am saying is about 90% of the bikes i see are Spesh's and it gets a bit boring
  • clint29
    nferrar wrote:
    What are the Domain 302's like on the Froggy? It's the only thing putting me off atm based on the odd comment I've read :(
    I'm 17 stone and had no trouble with them only problem i can see is the rebound adjustment being on the bottom of the leg,just waiting to be broken off!
  • clioterus wrote:
    MattHarper wrote:
    clioterus wrote:
    chapers13 wrote:

Tom

I've seen 3 sx's on my travels. I'm not knocking Specialized i used to have a rockhopper and it was brilliant,all i am saying is about 90% of the bikes i see are Spesh's and it gets a bit boring

i know what you mean, i seem to see alot of Stumpjumpers about. Had a play on a Lapierre Spicy 916 at Dalby a few months ago, nice bikes. Just used to riding something alot heavier and more 'planted'. Can imagine the Froggy would ride similar to my SX trail?
    Yorkshire Man living in Somerset
    http://twitter.com/Mattharperbikin
  • clint29
    MattHarper wrote:
    clioterus wrote:
    MattHarper wrote:
    clioterus wrote:
    chapers13 wrote:

Tom

i know what you mean, i seem to see alot of Stumpjumpers about. Had a play on a Lapierre Spicy 916 at Dalby a few months ago, nice bikes. Just used to riding something alot heavier and more 'planted'. Can imagine the Froggy would ride similar to my SX trail?
    Yes mate great minds think alike :lol:
  • Ive had the bike 3 months now and its everything I hoped it would be :D. It was a brave choice as i brought it from abroad and never had chance to demo it. My only concern are the 302's they work fine and are easy to set up, but when im riding hard there feels a little play in the system a small knocking.....is this common? other than that it gets alot of attention on the trails and im yet to see another one. There's talk it struggles on the climb Ive had no issues and has come off better than many other rider's on the trails. P.S theres to many specialized now on the trails its good to be different and better.
  • clint29
    Oggy2294 wrote:
    Ive had the bike 3 months now and its everything I hoped it would be :D. It was a brave choice as i brought it from abroad and never had chance to demo it. My only concern are the 302's they work fine and are easy to set up, but when im riding hard there feels a little play in the system a small knocking.....is this common? other than that it gets alot of attention on the trails and im yet to see another one. There's talk it struggles on the climb Ive had no issues and has come off better than many other rider's on the trails. P.S theres to many specialized now on the trails its good to be different and better.
    Glad your liking it, mine never fails to impress me. Have you checked the headset bearings for the knocking noise? My bike copes with the hills around Ladybower and Edale without any cause for concern :D
  • nferrar
    Bought one a couple of days ago to, not had chance to take it off-road yet though :( Still not sure on replacing the Domains for Totems, if Totems were lighter to it would be a no brainer but they're not and I really don't want to add more weight to the bike. I'd also have to get different coils for the Totems so it gets expensive.

Not much else I'm planning to change for the time being (apart from putting on Saint shifters), will see how the wheels hold up and will probably change to a Saint c/set when the current one's rings need replacing.
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    I've started looking for a nice freerider with 180mm travel. But can I have two Lapierres?
    Not really active
  • nferrar
    I hope so, I have a Zesty as well - both mine are the same colour to...
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    Now that is a sneaky move.

If I got the same colour my girlfriend probably wouldn't even realise it's a different bike - genius!
    Not really active
  • Looks really nice mate! Website says it's 17kg though...does it feel heavy to ride?
  • clint29
    Looks really nice mate! Website says it's 17kg though...does it feel heavy to ride?
    No not really i keep up with my mates on hardtails without any problems
  • Cool cool. It does look minted! The Lappie's do intreague me. Unfortunately i've never had the chance to have a go one one.
  • nferrar
    OK has anyone with a Froggy done anything with the front mech since buying it? I was going to change to Saint shifters on mine (a 318) but I can't figure out how you get to the front mech cable bolt (as in the bolt that tightens onto the gear cable). It's angled towards the inside of the chainstay and I can't get an allen key in there (and the angle is too extreme for a round-end key).

I went through 8 hacksaw blades trying to cut down an allen key but it's still too long, planning to give it another go soon but not holding out much hope as I can see it being so stubby it will round easily.

The only way I can see to do it is to unbolt the mech but then you've got bob hope of getting the cable tension right :(
  • clint29
    nferrar wrote:
    OK has anyone with a Froggy done anything with the front mech since buying it? I was going to change to Saint shifters on mine (a 318) but I can't figure out how you get to the front mech cable bolt (as in the bolt that tightens onto the gear cable). It's angled towards the inside of the chainstay and I can't get an allen key in there (and the angle is too extreme for a round-end key).

I went through 8 hacksaw blades trying to cut down an allen key but it's still too long, planning to give it another go soon but not holding out much hope as I can see it being so stubby it will round easily.

The only way I can see to do it is to unbolt the mech but then you've got bob hope of getting the cable tension right :(
    I have just had a look on my bike and it's the same! Have you mastered the problem?
  • nferrar
    Nah not yet, I gave up as I didn't want to screw it up before having a chance to play. The only options I see are shift onto the big ring before undoing the bolt (can squeeze a shortened allen key in then as the bolt moves up a bit), not convinced I'd get enough tension on the cable though when doing it back up. If that fails I'm going to replace the bolt with one I can use a spanner on. Hotlines didn't reply to my question on it but may try emailing Lapierre directly.
  • clint29
    Thinking about building a Cove stiffee from scratch so this would have to go! any ideas what the Froggy would be worth?
  • clint29
    Tut tut tut, 2 in 2 days.

("How much is my bike worth" questions aren't allowed)
    Yep sorry just read the rules :wink:
  • clint29
    I have decided to keep the Froggy anyway :D
  • I'm waiting to buy a 2011 Froggy but am a bit unsure of what size to buy...

I'm 6'1" tall.

I had a demo ride on a 43cm Froggy (smaller of two sizes) bike, and it's top tube length was the same as my Large sized Ironhorse (6 point 4). It suited me fine but Lapierre recommend me buying the larger 48cm bike. Although they didn't have one for me to demo on that day.

The 48cm frame seems quite a jump and I wouldn't want to loose any of its playfulness. If you've got one can you help me out by recommending a size. I really don't like feeling stretched out on a bike. Thanks
  • nferrar
    If the smaller one felt good I'd stick with that, I'm 5'11" and it's fine for me (2009 model though, not sure if they've changed geometry/sizing).

BTW on the Froggy front mech bolt thing - it seems Shimano do a bolt with an end suitable for a spanner (which I noticed after my Zesty has), why they didn't use one on the Froggy I don't know.