Packing for a 3 day/ 200 mile South Downs (Off-Road) trip.

wolfsbane2k
wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
edited August 2010 in MTB general
Hi,

I'm going to do the SDW both ways over 3 to 4 days in mid september, and wondering what I need to pack. I'm going to be staying at B&B's, so don't need to carry a tent, thankfully.

What do people recommend taking along?

List at the moment is:

Tools/Spares:
1) Spare Tube & Puncture Repair Kit
2) Spare Chain & 2x Chain Connector
3) Topeak Multitool
4) Leatherman
Lock
Lights & Spare Batteries
Maps ( Edge 705) & Charger
Camelbak
Mobile Phone & Charger
Clothes:
2xPadded Liners
Shorts
2x t-Shirts
Overtrousers
Waterproof Jacket
Overshoes
4 x pairs socks
Shoes.

Am i overloaded or missing something?
I'm thinking i might want to get a pannier rack & rack bag, top tube bag/wedge bag as well as my camelbak...

Ta!
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    id include some string, you never know when it will be handy and id take some fruit for a bit of fuel for yourself, you're gonna need tonnes of energy.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    id include some string, you never know when it will be handy and id take some fruit for a bit of fuel for yourself, you're gonna need tonnes of energy.

Yeah, forgot to add fuel bars/isogels in the handlebar top mount bag. String sounds like a good idea - along with duct tape...
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Anonymous

Yeah, forgot to add fuel bars/isogels in the handlebar top mount bag. String sounds like a good idea - along with duct tape...

throw in some zipties too as quick fixes for stuff until you can get to a shop.
  • id include some string, you never know when it will be handy and id take some fruit for a bit of fuel for yourself, you're gonna need tonnes of energy.
    Hmmm. I see where you're coming from here, sheeps. You're worried about scurvy on a trip of this length. Perhaps you could recommend a particular type of fruit and where it might be stored during the trip?
    Canyon XC 8.0 '11
    Whyte 19 steel '10
  • Anonymous
    Hmmm. I see where you're coming from here, sheeps. You're worried about scurvy on a trip of this length. Perhaps you could recommend a particular type of fruit and where it might be stored during the trip?

busted.
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    Pump
    flip flps to walk around in when your not riding
    to warm still for overshoes and trousers ditch those
    1pair of socks let them ming
    something to wear in the b& b - pub ...
    Don't think, BE:
  • mounty
    mounty Posts: 682
    Someone has suggested this site, lots of useful stuff and some great ideas for kit/storage etc;

http://www.bikepacking.net/individual_s ... ing-setup/
  • darning needle and tough twine/thread if you're not taking a spare tyre (even if you are). If you rip a side wall (lots of flint up there) you're stuffed.