Whey protein

random man
random man Posts: 1,518
Do any of you use whey protein?

I've lost most of the weight I was hoping to lose by cycling but don't want to start burning off muscle. How much would protein help?

Comments

• Eat a healthy diet and no need for extra protein. About 1.2-1.7g of protein per kg is all thats recommended for a cyclist.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I eat a healthy diet and protein supplements, too... :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • random man
    Do you think the supplements make a difference?

I'm guessing that when I get to my ideal weight I'll have to supplement my diet somehow if I want to carry on cycling as much as I have been, so I don't lose too much weight.
  • Lady Venom
    Lady Venom Posts: 213
    My recovery drink had whey protein in - I use PHD or FGS
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    Oh God! I bought whey protein once. The after taste was brutal. I found it worst when you breath out after taking a swig.
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    I use whey protein, I mix it with milk/water - a good shake up and drink. I use it after a long or particularly hard session. It definately works for me - use as a recovery aid, legs feel better the next day if I use it...
  • random man
    Thanks for the response, I'll give it a try.
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Just drink some skimmed milk- same thing.
  • psiturbo
    psiturbo Posts: 64
    Does anybody know if Lance Armstrong used Whey protein?
  • http://www.myprotein.co.uk

Is a good place for whey protein. Tons cheaper than the branded stuff. I use the non-flavoured one and add some Nesquick for taste when I mix it with milk. I use it when training hard and for recovery. Being a vegetarian i was finding it difficult to get the amount of protein through normal foods I needed for intense training. I notice a difference: quicker recovery; and feel stronger on the bike.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    twotyred wrote:
    Just drink some skimmed milk- same thing.

No it isn't, and there are various issues with Lactose...

http://www.mercola.com/article/milk/no- ... ?aid=CD945
  • Coming from weightlifting before i got back into cycling, i only ever used a healthy diet and good quality protein bars as a recovery aid.

i do the same thing on the bike after longer, harder rides to help recovery. if you look at Nocte (sp) and recovery they contain it. Its not about building, its sustaining.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I use it as I probably don't get enough good quality protein in my diet currently. I use it after a hard ride, and possibly as a meal/snack replacement in the afternoon.

If you are training hard, and you don't get the required protein from your diet (if you are training hard, you will probably need more protein than normal), then whey protein is a good source. I use PhD Chocolate Cookie, fantastic taste, good with water, even better with milk.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Also after a hard training session, you have a small window where your body will start replacing used glycogen at a faster rate. It has been shown that a mixture of protein and carbohydrate together increases the amount of glycogen replenished. If you have a pure protein drink, then make sure you have some carbs as well.

Also these drinks are digested quicker than food, so to be optimise the recovery process, fluids are better than food in the first 20 mins or so, but you still need to eat a decent diet after this period to keep the process going.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I make up energy drinks with my own ingredients for longer rides. I usually mix a dessert spoonful of whey protein with maltodextrin and electrolyte salts for teh ride. After the ride I make up a recovery drink with less maltiodextrin and more protein, or sometimes I buy those Nurishment drinks from a corner shop, or eat a pasta and tuna heavy meal or something....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Si C
    Si C Posts: 130
    A buddy of mine is an elite. He takes a whey protein drink straight after every training ride/race. I assume he knows what he's doing as he spends the winter training in Belgium :wink: