Piling on the agony

geoffnelder
geoffnelder Posts: 165
Does cycling cause haemorrhoids?
During the last 50 miles from Llanidloes to Chester yesterday I had an uncomfortable feeling in my bum - as if I needed to go to the toilet even though I'd performed my daily post-breakfast event. So, in my head, I plotted a diversionary route to include all the public toilets en route - Oswestry, Overton, Holt - not many. Nothing happened at them. Then at home in the bath I found a lump - bit bigger than a baked bean - up my anus not far in. My dad died of cancer last year, and it had started with colon cancer so off to the docs this morning. A beautiful young woman stuck her cold lubcricated finger up my bum and it hurt. She kept apologising but needed to know if it only one haemorrhoid or a bunch. Luckily just one. She prescribed a hydrocortisone cream and told me to lay off cycling for a while. I said, "Isn't haemorrhoids a type of varicose vein? I've had those in my legs for years." She said yes but suspected my long-distance riding was the cause of this one. When I asked for evidence she just said it was a feeling. Thanks but I'm not convinced. I haven't heard of that many cyclists getting piles more than the average person. (I'm 62) Have any of you seen any research on that?

Maybe I should change my saddle - a Specialized body geometry: specially made, I thought. for easy riding in the posterior. Any advice on pile-friendly saddles? Please don't say Brooks unless they've started making non-leather seats. Of course I will refrain from distance riding for the 3 weeks until that perfect finger sodomises me again. I'd welcome your views.

Geoff

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    I would be suprised if cycling could cause piles, considering they problem is more "internal" than external (unless your seat is horribly out of place!!), things like blood pressure, excessive "strainage" and age (more likely as you get older) are more likely culprits.

Also, I am suprised she said they are like varicose viens, because I thought that was a common mis-conception, I'd get a second opinion TBH.
  • bill_gates
    bill_gates Posts: 469
    I read that they can be genetic. Diet can also 'set them off'.

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • Dan - I know we can't trust everything on wikipedia but it says: External hemorrhoids are those that occur outside the anal verge (the distal end of the anal canal). Specifically they are varicosities of the veins draining the territory of the inferior rectal arteries, which are branches of the internal pudendal artery.

I've been a vegan for over 30 years with plenty of fibre in my diet. In fact I thought vegans didn't get piles. Shows how wrong...
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Well I'm really enjoying my lunch. Yes I think cycling (and heavy weight lifting or any other straining action where you also bend the belly area) can cause or worsen piles. No medic - just a gut feeling (sorry!). Childbirth often causes them too - same resosn. Good you got it checked and treated. Keep an eye on it tho' especially as your dad died of colon cancer.
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Oddly I started with them a year or so ago when I was using the 'alloe vera' butt wipes. Soon as I stopped using them they cleared up.
  • Bunneh wrote:
    Oddly I started with them a year or so ago when I was using the 'alloe vera' butt wipes. Soon as I stopped using them they cleared up.

Interesting, though probably a coincidence. I've been using baby wipes then Assos Chamois cream - for decades! I don't get constipated but maybe it was just my time to get them - or rather it as I have only one and don't want another!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Everyone finished their lunch?

Well I never had piles until I was put on antidepressants. They give me chronic constipation, despite eating the same amount of dietary fibre as your average elephant.

Nothing ever dangled externally, but several bouts of spectacular bleeding on the rare occasions my @rse chose to function, prompted a trip to the docs to get it checked out.

Fortunately (or not, depending on your point of view) my medical practice had a Rectal Clinic and I was promptly booked in. Curled up in the foetal position on the couch, the procedure seemed to involve KY jelly, a track pump, and a periscope with a soldering iron attached.

All the piles neatly cauterised, nothing sinister seen, pretty much OK for the 3 years since.

I don't think that cycling affects piles one way or the other.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    I'm having me tea now - thanks Keef66 :shock:
    But yes - how they do bleed....... :oops: and how painful - worse than childbirth.... :shock: :shock: :shock:
    :D
  • stratcat
    stratcat Posts: 160
    I suffered once and was concerned that cycling had caused it. My do told me it was diet and straining that caused them. I had changed my diet and hadn't got enough roughage so I was pushing out not a lot. Changed my diet back and no more piles for me, despite increasing my cycling miles - a lot!