Should I train with a cough/cold?

Bunneh
Bunneh Posts: 1,329
I developed a sore throat in the night which has now become a full blown hacking cough, with some nose running. I so want to get out and have a ride but I feel really crap, plus it's currently raining. Should I risk it? Should I just do a light ride around the local areas and not push it?

As a kid I was always told not to go out in the rain if I have cold, but I've got a newly repaired bike that's whining at the front door wanting to go out! Common sense says 'stay in damn it!' but, well I wanna go out and 'play' :)

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    First though is go with your common sense.

Hows your RHR?, if its elevated then stay at home.

The rule of thumb with colds is, symptoms below the neck, don't train
  • I'd rest until the worst of its passed. Unless you just want to go round the block to try it out, you'll only prolong the symptoms and not gaining anything.
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Thanks for the replies.

I gave it a gentle whirl around the very local area but just couldn't get any speed up and felt generally tired. Got back around 3 hours ago and have just woken up after 'having 5 minutes shut eye'. I'm really quite tired, have an odd taste in my mouth and very sore limbs. Rest me thinks :)
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    Bunneh wrote:
    I developed a sore throat in the night which has now become a full blown hacking cough, with some nose running. I so want to get out and have a ride but I feel really crap, plus it's currently raining. Should I risk it? Should I just do a light ride around the local areas and not push it?

As a kid I was always told not to go out in the rain if I have cold, but I've got a newly repaired bike that's whining at the front door wanting to go out! Common sense says 'stay in damn it!' but, well I wanna go out and 'play' :)
    Unless you've got some big race you need to be superfit for I wouldn't train again until the worst of the symtoms have passed. There's always the danger that you'll start off easy and then end up over doing things and prolong the flu/cold symptoms