Turbo Trainer with Power

JesseD
JesseD Posts: 1,961
I am thinking of buying one of these for training this winter to use in conjunction with my rollers on those cold wet dark nights.

I want the power to be pretty accurate and for it to be reasonably quiet as I live in a flat.

Who has what, any recommendations?
Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!

Comments

• JesseD wrote:
    I want the power to be pretty accurate
    If this is a key criteria, then suggest a Computrainer, probably a Lab model.

I'm not sure how well the Powerbeam Pro goes in the accuracy stakes, I've not seen it used.

Most other "power" turbos don't stack up on the accuracy/repeatability front.

If you use a turbo for the resistance and have a good power meter, then your options are far wider since the meter takes care of the accuracy, even if the turbo resistance drifts/varies. It may still be an issue however if you want the turbo to control the resistance (e.g. riding pre-programmed training sessions) and for that resistance to be consistent.

For indoor trainer accuracy, then dedicated ergo bikes such as Velodyne, Velotron, SRM ergo bike, Cyclops PT300 are the best bet although the latter can suffer from heat drift. They also have the advantage of a sizable flywheel.

For limiting noise, I think the issue will be more the noise of the cooling fan required rather than the trainer.
  • What sort of budget are you looking at?
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Cheapest way to reliable power measurement with the added bonus of being able to use it on the road as well would be a PowerTap. Then just get a cheap turbo.
    More problems but still living....