Strange Hamstring Dilema!!!

steve23
steve23 Posts: 2,202
ok.....

on my road bike, in the last 2 months or so, my hamstrings have been prone to cramping. especially after 50 miles or so (in a race). even in a ten mile TT on my roadie, i can feel more pressure there, than in my quads.

however, on my TT bike, i dont get this feeling at all, and can do a 10, 25 or 50mile TT without any pain in my hamstrings.

i dont get it just riding along nicely, but i do when i push on hard!
i use the same shoes on bpth bikes so cant be a cleat issue, also, i have lowered my saddle a touch on my road bike, but i still get this problem.

what could it be? any ideas? im sick of it as its starting to ruin my road races!!!

cheers! :D
_______________________________________________________________________________________
If You Can't Cut It With The Big Dogs, Then Don't Pi$$ Up The Tall Trees!

Comments

• Generally speaking, the further back your saddle, the more you use your hamstrings. As TT bikes tend to have steeper seat tube angles, this could explain why you only get the problem on your road bike, so the first thing I'd try is moving the saddle forward a few mm.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Maybe a stretching regime before and after. Also look at position as mentioned above
    M.Rushton
  • steve23
    steve23 Posts: 2,202
    cheers guys, i will move my seat forward a touch.

as for stretching, i do it reguarly, always after a ride i have a stretch. maybe i should concentrate a bit more on my hamstrings at the moment!

thanks for the input!
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    If You Can't Cut It With The Big Dogs, Then Don't Pi$$ Up The Tall Trees!
  • Karl2010
    Karl2010 Posts: 511
    Some exercise's in the gym that target the Ham's specificaly. Dont go too high on the resistance at first though. Build it up. I went stright into high resistance training on my ham's last year and it was easy but after my first session i was in agony with cramp or it might have been torn??. Literaly couldnt stand up or strighten my leg.

Low restistance at first to strengthen ham.