Comments

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Shop groupie love it!
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    antfly wrote:
    morstar wrote:

You are quite entitled to go elsewhere and the LBS job is to offer value added service to convince you to shop with them. But they probably aren't making a mint out of the chain no matter how it may appear.

I am quite sure CRC and everyone else make a nice profit on chains, one reason they are cheaper there is because they are OEM, they don`t come in a box and have a few less links. I always get mine from Merlin or CRC as I don`t need a box.

I'm sure at £21.99, the LBS in doyler78's experience is making a decent mark up. My point is that they won't be making an additional £10 per chain on top of whatever CRC are making.

When buying like for like products from suppliers, the LBS will pay more than CRC, wiggle etc.

I'm on the fence on the issue. I believe good bricks and mortar retailers deserve our support but the crap ones can go sing. I think large companies provide a predictable level of service, generally anonymous, not great, but rarely bad. Local shops in any field offer huge variety in standards from shockingly bad to first class. When an item is comfortably within my budget and I know of a retailer I would like to patronise, I will buy from them. In all other situations it is generally a cost and convenience based selection process.