Liverider - iPhone

Savagestorm
Savagestorm Posts: 79
Whilst browsing for a cycling computer I came across Liverider which is a cycle computer that makes use of your iPhone hardware.

LiveRider-system-features.jpg

One of the most interesting features is: (Ghost mode for those who've played video games)
Real-time Chase Rider function lets you compete against your personal best or pace to your training goal.

It has all the usual features you'd expect from a top spec computer:
GPS features providing location and tracking, and accelerometer features to record inclination. LiveRider includes a file system to save the detailed data from each ride which can be reviewed graphically or exported via email and imported into any spreadsheet, document, or database.

LR_header-screenshots-master.jpg

Price: $99

Thoughts?

Comments

• benneally
    benneally Posts: 973
    I want one. How does it measure power?

Looking to get a good quality bracket to mount the phone on the bike too. Is it waterproof? Can I have the link please?
  • sagalout
    sagalout Posts: 338
    I've been using the ghost feature on my Garmin recently - it's quite a good motivator for threshold training rides!

$99 is a bit pricey for an app in my opinion. Problem I had with my iPhone was battery life on longer rides. I like to know I have a charged phone for backup, and knowing it's depleting constantly at a high rate is unnerving. Also it still means you need a separate device for HR, unless Apple bring out a compatible chest strap, which would be a big seller with all the running and cycling apps out tgere
  • benneally
    benneally Posts: 973
    Downloaded the free app that goes with it. Looks like a nice smart interface! And the maps bit is nice (I use an app called trails atm which is nice).

It would have to be waterproof though for me to really consider it. And I cant find an estimate of how long the battery would last..
  • Unfortunately it's not waterproof which makes it a deal breaker really, and as far as I can tell it cannot accurately measure power output and it's more of a gimmick than an actual accurate figure. Apologies for not including a link earlier:

http://www.newpotatotech.com/LiveRider/liverider.html
    LiveRider is the first Wireless Cycling Computer and mounting system for iPhone and iPod touch. Incorporating advanced 2.4 GHz wireless technology from New Potato, a single permanently-sealed sensor unit is mounted on the frame near the rear wheel that measures both bike speed and pedal cadence and transmits that information to a receiving unit attached to the 30 pin connector of the iPhone.

Captured securely in a sleek and aerodynamic shock-absorbing handlebar mounted cradle that protects against vibration and debris, the rider’s iPhone is immediately accessible, yet can be quickly removed along with the receiver dongle.

Unlike other cycling computers, LiveRider is able to leverage the advanced features of the iPhone and iPod touch to provide the user a hi-res color touch screen interface, GPS features providing location and tracking, and accelerometer features to record inclination. LiveRider includes a file system to save the detailed data from each ride which can be reviewed graphically or exported via email and imported into any spreadsheet, document, or database.
  • lmhufty
    lmhufty Posts: 1
    I'm not sure about others, but this unit was designed to cover the earphone jack, thus disabling the ability to listen to music while riding. Otherwise, I think that the design and thought process is superb.