Saddle height with Cane Creek thudbuster?

GyatsoLa
GyatsoLa Posts: 667
edited August 2010 in MTB general
I just fitted a Cane Creek Thudbuster to my hardtail - its a great piece of kit, feels great on long days over rough ground (I'm using it for off-road touring, so need all day comfort).

The one issue is that the saddle feels 'low'. I keep thinking the seatpost is slipping, but when I check it, its not, and the height (measured from BB centre) is exactly the same on all my other bikes (74cm), road and off-road.

I'm wondering if because of the suspension I should be measuring not at its 'resting' position, but from 1cm or so lower to take account of sag? Anyone with experience of this?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    This is why lots of people do not get on with thudbusters. I personally found the ever changing saddle/cranks distance rather unsettling.
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    I keep mine the same, don't forget your swinging backwards in an arc , not up and down like other seat posts. I've had mine for over 3 years and love it.
    Don't think, BE:
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    Thanks - I hadn't realised many people didn't get on with them (I only heard good things from the 2 or 3 people I know who've used them).

I tried raising by 0.5 cm and it seemed to work - well, for the last ride anyway, only thing to do is keep experimenting I guess (annoying, since it took me ages to find my 'right' saddle height).
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    That's the big problem with them though, they're constantly moving, so you never will have the "right" saddle height.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    On my 3rd so far. They do take some getting used to, like anything else.
    Problem I had today was, getting the seatpost low enough, as they are quite long,

So, have to cut a bit off the end with a pipe cutter, as at the moment it hits the seat tube bottle cage screws.

So, once fitted, I measure my "USUAL" height from centre of BB to saddle top, and adjust accordingly. Even thickness of your shorts padding will affect saddle ht.
    Distance from the saddles tip to the handlebars will also be affected, so again, usual measurement, then adjust by feel/control/handling etc.

Expensive initially, but think of the money you'll save on Preparation H...