good durable tyres for autumn / winter commute

2»

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Asprilla wrote:
    I've used GP4000, GP4000S, Gatorskins and Krylion Carbons. All were pretty much the same for punctures so at the end of last winter I fitted Duranos on the fixed (which i only use in the winter) and I was P-free during Feb and March, something previously unheard of.

And again: +1! :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Gatorskins on my commute bike are OK, but am also commuting on my road bike now - with Conti 4 seasons, which are much nicer than the gators, although nowhere near the Pro Race 3s. Now that I've ridden on 4 seasons, I wouldn't buy another set of Gators.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Conti hardshells

I shouldn't say this buuuuut zero visits since using those :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    itboffin wrote:
    Conti hardshells

I shouldn't say this buuuuut zero visits since using those :roll:

that is brave from you :)

I noticed today i can get the durano s in red to match my bike (yes im a tart) so now im definitely sold, thanks for all replies.

As for whats different in the winter, the roads near me get covered with rubbish off the trees etc, and i want summin a bit stronger as riding in the dark (with lights of course) makes things that more difficult to avoid the rubbish areas on the road which is quite a lot
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    I've used GP4000, GP4000S, Gatorskins and Krylion Carbons. All were pretty much the same for punctures so at the end of last winter I fitted Duranos on the fixed (which i only use in the winter) and I was P-free during Feb and March, something previously unheard of.

And again: +1! :)

And a further +1. In the little time I've ridden the Viner since it got sorted (grr injuries!) been very impressed with the Durano Pluses.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I have Duranos on my Look for all year round - got stick for the weight of them but I've not tried anything lighter yet to compare. And I've not done enough miles to comment sensibly on how great they are at puncture-proofness.

Anyway though - they are being touted here as almost interchangeable but the Durano is much lighter than the Plus.

So, the Plus should be much more punctureproof but the issue would be by how much (to justify the 250 grams of extra weight of the Plus).

PS - I like my Duranos because the font goes well with that on my Neutrons and Look frame :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • After reading this I'm thinking of replacing my Marathon +'s with Durano's when they wear out (back one is just losing it's centre tread pattern now).

A pair of Durano Pluses instead of Marathon Pluses would mean a weight reduction of just under 14oz, that's quite a lot really.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    biondino wrote:
    Seriously, what do people think happens to the roads in winter? You're screwed on ice anyway, so that's not it. It rains marginally more? Race tyres cut through the water very efficiently. Grit on the road? Not where I ride.

Or is it that you're that much less keen to have to fix a puncture in the cold and wet? Fair enough. However, on my Ultremos I've had less than a puncture every two thousand miles so I'll take those odds.

What happens is that there is more rain
    The rain washes sharps onto the road
    Then the wetness acts as a lubricant to help the sharps penetrate the casing

In autumn there is the additional problem of thorns and other nasty organic matter

So your puncture every 2,000 mile (I agree perfectly acceptable odds) is more likely in the winter
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    JonGinge wrote:
    vorsprung wrote:
    I get about 2000km out of a GP4 Season before it becomes a puncture magnet. They are good tyres when new but don't last
    Really? I've had a GP4 Season on the front wheel of my commuter for about 2 and half years. Only had a couple of visits in that time. Needs replacing now, though. I guess YMMV really does apply :?

yep, here's my stats for tyres

700 x 26C Panaracer Stratius Pro 4,237km, 1 puncture. Usually ride this bike in the dry

700 x 28C Continental 4 seasons 2,629km, 5 punctures.

700 x 28C Schwalbe Marathon+ 13,156km, 1 puncture (at 12,000km). Ride all weather

700 x 28C Vittoria Rubino Pro Tech, 0 punctures, 1,987km

700 x 25C Michelin Pro Race 2, 0 punctures, 1,525km

It's the second set of GP 4 Seasons that behaved like that. After approx 2000km they suddenly go all 'orrible. If you examine the casing they are covered in lots of tiny nicks. These seem to reach a crisis state at 2,000km. Great tyres until 2,000km though, I did a wet Paris-Brest-Paris 1200km on a new set.
  • andy83
    All this talk of weight saving, who cares when you 14 stone 12 lol

getting the durano tyres when pro 3's die
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    andy83 wrote:
    All this talk of weight saving, who cares when you 14 stone 12 lol

getting the durano tyres when pro 3's die

They've got em in cycle surgery in town just for you! Never seen em in a shop before, weird.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • andy83
    err i dont like that shop, dont ask why i just dont

Red Kite is my not so lbs but the one i use, awesome service and great guys in the shop

They had them in there in red yesterday, that is what swayed me lol
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    vorsprung wrote:
    antfly wrote:
    I use the conti GP4000S all year round without problems but the GP 4 seasons are tougher.

GP4000S must be made of cheese then

I get about 2000km out of a GP4 Season before it becomes a puncture magnet. They are good tyres when new but don't last

Strangely mine have done around 3000 miles without (touch wood) a single puncture. They still look as good as new, maybe i've just been lucky.
  • prawny
    andy83 wrote:

Red Kite is my not so lbs but the one i use, awesome service and great guys in the shop

I really want to know why now! Did one of them spurn your advances? I'm going to go with that one! :wink:
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I seriously believe GP 4 seasons are the unsung heroes of the Conti stable.

Maybe they don't have a 'fast' or 'cool' enough name. I certianly like telling people my front tyre is called Attack and the rear, Force.

But 4 seasons are superb tyres.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

Maybe they don't have a 'fast' or 'cool' enough name. I certianly like telling people my front tyre is called Attack and the rear, Force.

If only they got rid of that strange biscuit colour on the walls I think they'd sell a whole load more.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DonDaddyD wrote:

If only they got rid of that strange biscuit colour on the walls I think they'd sell a whole load more.

It's Marketing (see image below).

The beige side wall means durability.

You don't even have to read the box.

marketing-mix.jpg

Genius.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • So far the Bontrager Race Lite Hard case on my steed have never had a visit from the puncture fairy (touch wood) so I'll probably look at a similar one to that but an 'all weather' option.

Seems the Bontrager Race All Weather Hardcase Tyre will be the one I look at first. About £18 per tyre.

Have to admit although they may be very good the Conti GP 4 seasons come in at about £30 per tyre which is a bit steep for me.
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • andy83
    prawny wrote:
    andy83 wrote:

I really want to know why now! Did one of them spurn your advances? I'm going to go with that one! :wink:

ok because you asked i thought of the reason, and dont laugh but i get stressed out in crowded places. There are always people crossing, buses going past and its just too busy for me, now your prob lauging but i dont care :P

if you want to think its cos they turned me down still then whatever pleases you lol
    Seems the Bontrager Race All Weather Hardcase Tyre will be the one I look at first. About £18 per tyre.

I have these on my fixie and they seem fine

Im a confessed bike tart and the fact that the durano come in red im sold as they will match my bike. I dont care about the name to be honest, just as long as it matches
  • prawny
    andy83 wrote:
    prawny wrote:
    andy83 wrote:

ok because you asked i thought of the reason, and dont laugh but i get stressed out in crowded places. There are always people crossing, buses going past and its just too busy for me, now your prob lauging but i dont care :P

if you want to think its cos they turned me down still then whatever pleases you lol

Not at all, the thing that puts me off is the scary looking security guard! :shock:
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Just fitted Halo courier twin rail 'Berlin' rubber to my bike - they do roll ever so well and look to be tough as old boots. Plus I'm hoping that all that extra armour is going to break that bloody fairy's teeth off. :twisted:
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • cjcp
    Grrr. Had a flat on my front Durano Plus today. Saw it when I collected my bike for the homeward journey. Checked the tyre - nothing, no hole in the tyre. Looks like it was a pinch flat.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,719
    Conti Sport Contacts for me - they work all year round and have gone about 50 miles a week from last October until now with only one puncture :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • andy83
    Ok after looking and finally deciding i need some new tyres im now a little confused

everyone has said durano but there are many types

which is the best winter tyre out of these two?

Id prefer the red but dont mind if the other ones will be better. I tend to do a lot of miles so want them durable and not too fussed about speed as can always switch to pro3s if needed

Thanks

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=48532

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Schwa ... 360042611/
  • cjcp
    I go for the Durano Pluses. For the purposes of the commute, I honestly don't notice the difference between Duranos and more racier tyres.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."